Tap into Black Iron Gas Line

Old 05-07-09, 10:15 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tap into Black Iron Gas Line

I would like to tap into an existing 3/4" gas line in order to connect to the outdoor gas grill. There is a pipe in the right place, I can easily get to both ends where there are elbows. What is the safe way to cut into a pipe in the middle. I presume I would then use a union to put everything back together.

Am I correct that I use both yellow tape and dope when putting it back together?
Can I use 1/2" pipe to the grill?

Peter

Old 05-07-09, 03:48 PM
J
Many areas do not like homeowners altering gas lines. Since you are not quite sure what needs to be done, best leave it to a pro. You often don't get a second chance with a gas leak.

Old 05-07-09, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
gas, the thing that an make your house sneeze.

just because you have a place that is fairly easy to get to and is in the right spot does not mean it is a good place to tie into the gas line. it would be a show stoper if you added this line without making sure the line can handle the load then running the grill to find out it took away too much gas and the pilot in your water heater went out and you have to take a cold shower.

i will say that the way you propose to do it is in line with the right thinking but this is the one thing in plumbing that does NOT allow 1 (ONE) mistake. it would be best left to a professional that has been trained to install it.

Old 05-07-09, 06:59 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
As others have said, you don't want to jump into a gas project that you're not ready for. That said...

What is the 3/4" pipe feeding? If it's only one device (dryer, stove), you can likely tap off it as you planned. If it's going to multiple devices or to your main heater, you need to do some calculations to see if it's the right plan.

After you shut off the gas and bleed the little pressure that's left, you can cut the pipe with a sawzall (preferred) or hacksaw (if you need some exercise). Get the right sized pipes and a union and make sure they are tight.

1/2" is sufficient to feed a grill, but you don't want to run 1/2" for any significant distance. Unless the grill is within a few feet, you'd be better off running 3/4" to the grill to ensure you have enough volume.

Be sure to pressure test afterwards. In my opinion, the soap bubble test doesn't always catch little leaks.

Old 05-08-09, 09:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: