Leak? Marks on Ceiling, nowhere near plumbing?

Old 05-07-09, 11:16 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak? Marks on Ceiling, nowhere near plumbing?

Hello, Hopefully I am posting this in the right area, but I have a split level home and have noticed a small watermark on my ceiling in a area on the complete opposite end of my bathrooms and nowhere near where any pipes would have been run? I have no ideas where this water is (or may be coming from) Any tips on finding a leak when theres only a bedroom above it? Thanks!

PS- I did patch a small crack in that area..Is it possible that my Spackle is holding in moisture, thus causing the small watermark on the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-09, 11:38 AM
S
Water can run across beams and studs and such for long distances before dripping onto a ceiling etc.It is also common with roof leaks so if this is at a location where that's possible it may not be plumbing.

You need to do whatever it takes to figure out the source point of this especially if it reoccurs as any source of water needs to be dealt with before there is serious damage or a mold issue.

Old 05-07-09, 05:06 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could someone who has that bedroom, dumped something, and did not want to tell?

Any fish tank?

Water any plants in that room?

One of those bubbling rock fountains?

Is this spot near a wall?, or out in the middle of the bedroom above?

Do you have a first floor laundry and dryer duct goes through joist cavity to outside wall and happens to be udner that bedroom floor?

One reason I mentioned if water mark near a wall, is in case there is a vent pipe that either lets al ittle rain water in it or condensation.

Is the bedroom hardwood floors or carpeted?

Has that mark stayed the same in size or got bigger, and can you dig into it a little to see if it is damp or not?

Old 05-11-09, 10:12 AM
D
Answers

Could someone who has that bedroom, dumped something, and did not want to tell? Nobody is in that bedroom, its just my wife and I and its a spare room where she keeps extra clothes

Any fish tank? No fish

Water any plants in that room? No Plants

One of those bubbling rock fountains? Nope

Is this spot near a wall?, or out in the middle of the bedroom above? YES, the spot is near a wall but on the ceiling of our downstairs living room

Do you have a first floor laundry and dryer duct goes through joist cavity to outside wall and happens to be udner that bedroom floor? Not there

One reason I mentioned if water mark near a wall, is in case there is a vent pipe that either lets al ittle rain water in it or condensation.

Is the bedroom hardwood floors or carpeted? Carpeted

Has that mark stayed the same in size or got bigger, and can you dig into it a little to see if it is damp or not? I think it has stayed the same size, i took a picture of it when I first noticed it that I will compare after the next rain or randomly over time to see if it is growing and I think I would be able to dig into see if it is damp but obly if thats neccessary, of course. Thanks for your help....

Old 05-14-09, 05:17 AM
D
Flashing

It looks like the flashing is gone underneath of the cornerpost exposing some tar paper at the corner... Anyway I can fix this without removing the vinyl corner post? Can I slide some flashing up under the corner? Thanks again!

Old 05-14-09, 06:49 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I understand building construction, but cannot follow how building paper would be under a corner post.

What does this corner post do?

Do you mean siding paper or roofing paper?

There are people in this forum who can help you with your needs regarding fixiong this if you make it more clear to what you mean.

You could even repost this, if you think this is your cause, in the carpentry forum here. Thanks.