Dumb Outside Spigot Question

Old 05-12-09, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dumb Outside Spigot Question

hello again...

being an old timer...I'm not familiar w/ how to tighten the Packing Nut on the below type of spigot...found at my house...[as it is leaking (slowly, from the handle)].

Is it thru the plastic cap at the top...or do I have to shut off the line & go thru the handle ???

thanks very much,

mark4man

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-09, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It may be under the handle..but I'm not positive. Thats some type of "freeze proof" valve. The actual washer that seals is back in the wall somewhere. You shouldn't be getting any leaking past when its closed, if you do, you will prob need to shut off the water , pull the whole stem out and install a new washer and screw.

The cap on top is a vacuum breaker to prevent water in the hose being drawn back into the plumbing.

Old 05-12-09, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
are you talking about it leaks out the handle when the faucet is on? i believe that may be the case since i dont see a leak in the picture.

you have to remove the handle as the packing nut is behind it. if you can not tighten it or that doesnt stop the leak you will have to turn the water off and remove the packing nut and install a new rubber packing or rope packing depending on which it has

Old 05-12-09, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The packing nut for that frost-free is behind the handle .....it should be a white nylon hex nut ,I believe, if so then it is a LEFT HAND THREAD..that is to say to tighten it you need to turn it counter clockwise.......being that it is nylon it can strip pretty easily....the plastic cap is a cover for the vacuum breaker

Old 05-14-09, 08:22 AM
thanks...

1) It' IS a frost free valve, about 10" inside the crawl space wall.

2) forgot to mention (sorry)...it leaks while running...IF anything is attached (e.g., a hose).

thanks again...will try going thru the handle,

mf

Old 05-18-09, 09:30 AM
SOLVED...!!!

Took a few days for the WD-40 to work...but I managed to remove the handle & tighten the nylon packing nut.

leak is gone...THANKS very much.

mf