Rule of thumb for tightning?

Old 05-20-09, 08:47 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rule of thumb for tightning?

I am installing 1/2" copper threaded adapters (with sweat joints on the other end) into my MOEN shower valve assembly. I have the teflon tape wrapped and have hand tightened them. How tight after hand tight should I make the connections?

I have heard over tightening can cause leaks as well.

Old 05-21-09, 12:04 PM
OK, lets start at the beginning...

If you are using threaded x copper adapters, if at all possible, you should first solder a piece of copper into the fitting before trying to insert the threaded end into the valve.

Then after wrapping about 3 turns of teflon tape or coating the threads with pipe thread sealant, or both, start to hand-tighten the fittings. Make sure the fittings are cooled before inserting them.
If you are using a 10" adjustable wrench or equivalent, I highly doubt you will be able to overtighten the connections. you are going to want to get about 2 more turns with pliars or wrench, until everything feels good and snug. you would really have to muscle the fittings to overtighten them in this case.

Old 05-21-09, 02:26 PM
L
Already did the soldering last night, I have about 6" of length soldered onto the adapter, so it was just a matter of how tight to make the seal.

thanks.

Old 05-21-09, 02:30 PM
sounds like you are good to go then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: