House smells like sewage

Old 06-03-09, 09:28 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
House smells like sewage

We live in a newly built house (finished around January this year) and recently have been getting a sewage smell through out the house. The smell is most noticeable when the A/C is running, and is also most noticeable in the basement hallway.

Adjacent to the hallway on one side is a laundry room and bathroom, and on the other side is the A/C unit, water heater, septic drain (not sure what it is called, its a large round plastic lid type looking thing on the floor that pipes go into).

The bathroom is rarely used, but we have tried running water through the bath/sink/toilet in there. Our A/C was also repaired by the tech drilling a hole into the septic lid and poking the condensate line through there. Believing that was the cause of the smell (the tube was not tight in the hole) I put waterproof caulk around it to seal it. But the smell is still there.

The odd part is that it does not smell under the stairs (where septic, water heater etc are) nor does it smell in the bathroom or laundry room. Where do I look to cure the stink? I don't know if it is a fault of the A/C line being drilled into the septic lid, or if it is something else. Maybe it is the drains in the downstairs bathroom and the A/C pulls the smelly air through the vents in the house?

We have well water, which does have the rotten egg sulfur smell, but the sewage smell is exactly that, a sewage smell and nothing like the smell from the water.

Any ideas? where should I check first? what can I do to remedy the smell?

Thanks.

Old 06-03-09, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Is it the same smell as you have if you lift the "septic lid"...which I think could be a "Sump Pit".

If so, when the A/C is running..it may be drawing stagnant stale water odor up through the drain line for the A/C condensate.

Did this start after the drain line was routed to the pit?

Old 06-03-09, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Never ever put a condensate line into a sewer or septic. If the trap drys at all or is not filled up you will pull that smell right through the HVAC system.

Old 06-03-09, 06:07 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Is it the same smell as you have if you lift the "septic lid"...which I think could be a "Sump Pit".

If so, when the A/C is running..it may be drawing stagnant stale water odor up through the drain line for the A/C condensate.

Did this start after the drain line was routed to the pit?
Hey, thanks for the reply. I have not lifted the lid, but it is an unmistakable smell of sewage. I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you and mattison earlier this evening.

I went down to the basement, ran hot water through every drain in the basement. Closed the bathroom door and left it for a while. About an hour later upstairs I can smell the stink, I head downstairs and the hallway stinks, open the bathroom door, no smell, open the door under the stairs, smell. So I rule out the bathroom, then I think that I have sealed the hole up that was drilled, but can still smell it, so at that point I began to wonder if the odor is coming back up through the drain line, which the both of you have just confirmed.

I can't be 100% certain, but I am 99% certain the smell started after the drain was routed. We had a problem with the A/C and the contractor came out to fix it (we had up until this point never used the A/C) it was whilst carrying out repairs that they re-routed the drain line. It was originally routed outside to the outdoor unit, our builder told us they most likely pulled zip ties too tight on the drain line when they originally installed it and so that is why they re-routed it the way they did.

Now to just figure out how to convince them that they are making my house stink and to fix it.

Thanks for both of the replies. Hopefully they will come and sort the mess out, my wife is going crazy from the smell (and I can't blame her, a brand new house should not stink!!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: