Faulty gate valve

Old 06-06-09, 05:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty gate valve

Hello,
I have a gate valve on my water main, and I can't turn it on or off. It just turns, and turns. As is, it's partially open so I get water, just not full pressure. Is it worth me trying to replace parts of the valve (handlle, stem), or is there a way to open the valve using long nose pliers? I dont have the knowledge or patience to replace the entire valve myself, but I can do relatively easy fixes if thats an option.
Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 06:30 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You really don't want to play with a valve in that condition. If you can't change it yourself, try to find a local handyman to do the job.

Old 06-07-09, 01:42 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 115 Votes on 106 Posts
Gate valves are notorious for causing problems, or at least getting enough gunk buildup that you can't close them all the way. I'd see this as a good opportunity to replace it with a full bore ball valve (with a bleed screw). You'll never have a problem again.

It will require shutting off the water at the road, so you'll need to involve the water company or a plumber. The water company around here is pretty helpful, and has no problem turning off then back on the main. They'd rather they do it rather than someone breaking the valve.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-09, 03:00 PM
The correct termage is "dropped the gate" in relation to your situation.

The weakest part of that valve is the stem itself where the threaded part attaches to the gate.

The gate moves down into a slide which is brass as well. When calcium builds up on these glides, the gate is closed and the stem doesn't hold up to the task of lifting it back up.

The valve is therefore defective and them is most likely broke.

Complete disassembly of the valve is required to prove this.

As mentioned, installing a full port ball valve is the necessary repair. That way there isn't any failure points years later when the valve needs to be operated/functionable.

Old 06-07-09, 09:51 PM
B
Thanks everyone! It's confirmed - going to return my replacement gate valve and calling a plumber to come out and replace it with a ball valve. Was good to get confirmation that I should indeed replace the entire valve.