stink pipe stinks

Old 06-15-09, 07:39 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stink pipe stinks

Where's the blockage in my vent pipe or ahead in the back yard?
When I flush upstairs basement toilet erupts, is this a vent problem? I found a rust blister on the stink pipe is that a blockage? We had the main house trap replaced in Jan. They sent a camera all the way out back, which is good now except the tie in to the back of the lot. the city is replacing those now(no charge).
not here yet though.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-09, 07:37 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
If I am reading your post correctly the toilet in your basement is overflowing when you flush a toilet upstairs. I am assuming that you have no other issues with any basement fixtures such as a washbasin, shower or laundry tub.

If all my assumptions are true then you most likely have a partial blockage between the basement toilet and the main sewer AND the upstairs toilet is connected to the sewer outlet between the basement toilet and the blockage. The other basement fixtures (if they exist) would likely drain to the sewer past this blockage.

If you have no other fixtures in the basement but the offending toilet then the blockage is only partial and is in the main sewer outlet.

Try filling the kitchen sink full (or several inches in the bathtub) and then while someone watches the basement toilet see if the water level in the bowl rises when the sink (or tub) is drained.

Old 06-16-09, 06:24 PM
W
still stinks

No the basement toilet is not over flowing in fact it flushes fine. Its when the upstairs toilet is flushed the basement toilet burbs up air and a just enough water to wet the closed lid. The upstairs toilet comes first then down to the basement toilet, then out back of the house. The main house trap was replaced in jan. they said the camera showed the tie in the main sewer was starting to go bad.
Could this cause this venting problem. I ran a snake(25 ft.) down the stink pipe from the roof, didn't help.

Old 06-16-09, 07:06 PM
F
Here's a possibility. You may have only a single vent stack and when you flush the upstairs toilet all the air in the stack (the vertical pipe that both conveys waste downward and vents upward) is pushed ahead of the solid "plug" of water and waste from the upstairs toilet. This causes a higher pressure in the stack below the falling plug of water and that higher pressure is blasting the basement toilet causing the burst of air and splash of water.

Where I live they don't have "house traps" and therefore the higher pressure under this scenario is vented out the main sewer. In your case I would suspect that you "should" have a vent on the house side of the house trap that vents back to the roof of your house. The other possibility I can see is you may have a "belly" (low spot) in your sewer before the house trap and that belly fills up with enough liquid and waste to create an impediment to proper venting of the high pressure as I previously described.

Old 06-19-09, 10:57 AM
W
stink is in the pink!

Good news my stink clog is gone. When the crew out back dug up the sewers, they opened up my line and "a clog 7 ft. long just shot out". So all the bubbles, eruptions and funny stuff cleared up.
So thank you very much for all the advice and help.

Old 06-19-09, 04:12 PM
F
Thank you for returning and letting us know what the problem was and how it was resolved.