need assistance with resolving foundation drain pipe issue

Old 06-22-09, 12:19 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need assistance with resolving foundation drain pipe issue

I've got a home in which the back of the house has a daylight basement, and I believe I'm going to have some drainage issues if I don't do something quick. so far I've never had a leak in the basement, but now I'm noticing that the original foundation drain pipe that goes around the house is starting to come up in the back, particulary right dead center back where the door to the daylight basement is located. I believe its the standard perforated drain pipe, and I've noticed its split in a few places, so I'm kind of concerned if I just bury it if it may already have a blockage. I have a few questions.

First, is there a way to "splice" a new piece of pipe in? I'm not certain if the drain pipe is a complete circle around the house, or if it breaks away at some point pointing away from the house. If it were to break away, I would have thought it would do so right at the back near the door but I've randomly dug along the whole back foundation and it just seems to keep going as if its wrapped around completely.

Second, in any case, I need to dig a deeper hole and re-bury this existing pipe or new pipe. How deep do I dig? what do I lay in the hole, do I need gravel, or can I add a layer or crushed rock, then lie the pipe on that? How much do I need, and then what goes on top of the pipe, I'm assuming its not dirt as that would get into the holes in the pipe. Can anyone explain my options here?

thanks!

Old 06-23-09, 01:45 PM
Foundation Drain

You won't like my answer.

If you have perforated drain pipe that has no stone and filter cloth on it is probably clogged up.

A drain line that just goes around the house makes no sense, it has to go somewhere to drain.

They do make couplings for this type of pipe.

You only can dig the pipe down to continue the pitch, if you dig it down too far it will create a trap which would interfere with it draining (if it still works), sorry for the negative.

Old 06-23-09, 05:35 PM
W
Thanks for your reply. Ok, so the pipe has to drain off somewhere, and being the back part of the house is much lower than the front, I would think it would have to be somewhere near the back door into the cellar, I have randomly dug along the pipe trying to find where it breaks, but it only seeemed to continue on, that's what puzzled me. I didn't want to get myself in a big mess and dig up too much.

but obviously this needs attention, so I think I will remove a large piece of the pipe at the back of the house, and replace it with new pipes and dig a trench away from the house on a downward slope.

now my question is how far from the house do I need to carry the pipe (it gradually declines across the rest of the lawn into the woods, so the downward slope is not an issue). How far do I need to dig and bury the new pipe, and what kind of rock/gravel do I lay down and in what order?

appreciate the input.

Old 06-23-09, 05:43 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 176 Posts
Normally, you'd dig down 2-4' deep, 12-18" wide. Next fill the first 6-12" with gravel, lay in a perforated drain pipe, backfill the rest with gravel either up to ground level or 6" below ground level and finish with landscape fabric and soil.

At some reasonable point, you'd transition to solid pipe to drain downhill. You want to get it far enough away from the house so the water won't come back, and far enough so it doesn't flood your lawn, etc. Also, make sure that you're not draining it into a neighbor's yard or house.

Now, that's a lot of work for an existing house. Depending on how the water is currently being handled, you may not need/want to do all that work. While it would have been pretty easy when the house was built, most builders only do the minimum necessary so the house doesn't flood until after their last check clears

Old 06-24-09, 05:47 AM
W
So its ok to lay the pipe directly on the gravel, and then put more on the top of it? I'm concerned about the gravel clogging it up?

Old 06-24-09, 03:20 PM
Drain Pipe

The proper way to lay perforated drain pipe is filter cloth. stone or gravel, drain pipe, gravel on top of the pipe and wrap the filter around the top gravel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: