CA water heater bracing

Old 06-23-09, 04:13 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
CA water heater bracing

I just replaced my water heater and I realized that the home builder (12 years ago) did not install bracing correctly. My WH cannot fall but it can move about 6" which would almost certainly break the copper water lines.

Interestingly they left a booklet that describes how to brace properly.

I'm planning on bringing the bracing up to code but I was wondering if it's a good idea to change over to stainless water supply lines. In theory if the WH is correctly braced it should not move enough to break the lines. The doc says code complaint flexible connectors should be used but I don't know if only stainless is code complaint.

My guess is that copper lines last forever but don't allow much movement while the stainless have a limited life. The local stores carry both.

BTW, the CA doc they left is very well written which came as a surprise. Even has parts lists for the various types of bracing methods. The title is "Earthquake Bracing of water heaters for residential use" in case anyones interested. It's online.

Old 06-23-09, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Some folks have said the flex semi-rigid copper lines are better, but I've never had problems with the braided stainless lines.

Don't the Left State rules address the requirements? Might want to call the local Codes office to verify.

Old 06-23-09, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In California you definitely have to have earthquake strapping along with flex supplies entering the tank from the water supply feeds.

Old 06-24-09, 12:56 PM
A
Are you supposed to use teflon tape or putty on the flex water line connections?

Seems like you wouldn't want to so that the washer is guaranteed to seat/seal but I have seen it recommended and my original install had putty on the threads (the reference I saw said do not use putty).

Also the Watts stainless flex connectors i bought say for use with iron pipe but I assume a copper male adapter on the house side is OK?

Thanks

Last edited by AlexH; 06-24-09 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No putty or tape required..but I know of some peple who put Teflon pipe dope (just a dab on the pipe, not inside the flex connector) on the threads as a lubricant. Not putty..thats for sink drains and such.

Should be fine on the copper as long as its a pipe thread.

Old 06-24-09, 03:08 PM
A
Thanks,

The stainless supply lines tend to collapse or crimp somewhat when bent at 90 deg but it doesn't seem bad enough to reduce water pressure noticeably.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: