water filling sink

Old 07-14-09, 07:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water filling sink

My bathroom sink keeps filling with water. It does this without our using it. Should I just use draino? or is there a bigger problem?

Old 07-14-09, 08:40 AM
S
Are you on sewer or septic?Does it fill when some other part of the plumbing is in use or when nothing is in use?If only when something is in use,what other plumbing is in use at that time?

The problem suggests that somewhere in the drainage where another drain ties in to the same line the sink is on there is a clog or partial clog causing drainage from some other sink etc to back up into this particular one.

But there are other possibilities and more info is needed.

Old 07-14-09, 08:44 AM
F
When your main drain system is compromised, water from anywhere in the house will back up to the lowest point in the system, usually a bath tub or shower. you dont say whether the water is clean or soiled but assuming that it is soiled this would mean that the sink involved is the lowest point or at least the point with the least resistance and you have a clog downstream. You can try a drain cleaning product but they can be dangerous when used in standing water and the clog doesnt seem to be localized to the sink but instead is down further.I recommend that you buy or rent an auger and locate the clean out access to your drain and auger the drain in and attempt to clear the clog before it gets worst and causes a flooding situation through a toilet or other fixture that will be trying to drain a larger volume of water.

Old 07-14-09, 10:10 AM
S
Without more specifics only generalized recommendations can be made.

Once more info is known we can be of more help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: