Help removing valve from faucet

Old 07-18-09, 06:23 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help removing valve from faucet

How do I undo this Price Pfister faucet?
I need to clean the valve, it is very stiff and water flow is erratic. There’s probably rust in it from the old pipes – now new pipes, time to clean the valve.

Old 07-19-09, 07:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The retainer is the brass ring with the slots in it. You can buy a special wrench to remove it. I would soak it with some good penetrating oil over night. If you get the retainer ring out grab the stem with pliers and pull it out. You may or may not be successful getting it apart. If it was me I would replace the whole facuet with a new one and be done with it.

Old 07-19-09, 04:21 PM
J
Before you go any furhter, clean the aerator, that should improve flow, and what did you find in the aerator???? As to removing the faucet arm to fix the sluggish movement, just pull up. There is at least one o-ring and probably a plastic washer, and you may have to pull hard. Replace the o-ring with new, lubricate everything with plumbers grease. If you have leakage when the water is shut off, the notched nut holds that in place, turn off the water supply. If it is not leaking, don't bother with it.

Old 07-22-09, 02:57 PM
T
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried to unscrew the brass retainer with a homemade tool but was not successful. In any case, something must have gotten loose inside while I was messing with it because it now works better, the flow is restored and the valve feels smoother albeit still stiffer than a new faucet.
I’ll keep it for a little while while I finish redoing my rough plumbing (PEX) and then I’ll take michaelshortt’s advice and buy a new one.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: