leaky utility/laundry faucet and elbow pipe

Old 07-24-09, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question leaky utility/laundry faucet and elbow pipe

Hi, HELP>>>>
I live in a very old home and recently my laundry sink faucet starting dripping from the spout as well as the nut around the cold water knob. When I saw water on the floor, I took a look under the sink and there was water dripping fm the elbow. Could that be from the leak in the faucet or it this a seperate problem. .
None of these items have ever failed or had to be replaced, so I believe they are the original ones.

Can anyone help a single mom figure this out . I'm hoping it's something I can fix instead of calling a plumber.

Thank you
Rose

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-09, 02:11 PM
Leaking Faucet

The leak from the nut you may be able to fix by tightening it, take a pair of pliers or a adjustable wrench and snug it up clockwise and see if it helps, if not you probably need new packing.

The spout leaking is more than likely a bad washer, that means taking the stems out; if you think you can handle this what you have to do is shut off water unscrew the nut under handle and turn the stem; it should come out, get a washer that matches the one on the stem, replace and put back together, do both stems, luck.

Old 07-24-09, 02:22 PM
The leak from the "elbow" could be as simple as a gasket within the nuts holding the drain parts together to a need to replace those same parts.It is not related to the spout/stem leaks.

Examine the drainage parts and look for cracks or weak spots,feel the metal and see if it feels brittle or soft.If so those parts need replacement which means really you need to rebuild all the drainage parts.

If they feel good then take them apart at the nuts and replace the rubber gaskets inside those nuts,tighten modestly well and see if that solves the problem.

Buy your parts from a real hardware store where you can talk to knowledgeable saleshelp who can assist you and make sure you buy the right parts as well as properly install them.

Old 07-24-09, 02:34 PM
Leaky utility faucet and elbow under tub

Thank you getlemen for your advise. I just have pone question.
SPDAVID, the rather large nuts on the elbow have some type of green substance on them. They are extremely tight. What is this and is it dangerous. Any advice

Old 07-24-09, 03:12 PM
It may be corrosion.The nuts are chrome plated brass and when brass oxidizes it turns green.If however it's thick or has any substance to it like it looks like sealant etc then it's something that was an attempt to seal and should not be there.

Corrosion/oxidation is not dangerous but it may mean the nuts and therefore the rest of the parts are corroded and weakened.The nuts will possibly break and need replacing.

Old 09-25-09, 03:53 PM
Question elbow still leaking

SPDAVID, I attempted to change the elbow under the utility tub, but the elbow has a large nut on one end, but no nut on the other. The other side looks like it's soldered. It doesn't look like anyway to get it off without cutting then having to re-solder it back. Any suggestions

Old 09-25-09, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It doesn't look like anyway to get it off without cutting then having to re-solder it back. Any suggestions
If in good condition yo can cut it of leaving about 1" sticking out then tie in a new trap using a Fernco coupling. I'd suggest a PVC trap.

A Fernco coupling looks somewhat like a rubber hose with hose clamps on either end. In this case you wood need a 1" tubing size not 1" pipe size.

Of course I'm not sure from reading your original post you are talking about the P-trap. If not disregard. The size could be 2" not 1".