Washing Machine hot valve leaking

Old 07-27-09, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine hot valve leaking

Ok, in our laundry room, we have a washing machine outlet box that looks like this:

Oatey Valve Type L. Shank MIP Washing Machine Outlet Box, Center Drain - 38673 at The Home Depot

The hot water valve on it is leaking broken. This isn't a leak from the top of the valve, the valve is actually not sealing as far as I can tell. Basically, it has a cap over the end of the valve (there is no washer in place right now), and when I start to take the cover off, water starts to spray as if the valve is open behind the cover.

Now, to repair this, can I just get the pressure off the hot water side of the system (turn off the supply to the hot water heater, run a hot faucet to get pressure off), then buy a replacement hose bibb of the same type, unscrew that one and put the new one in? I'm not sure how these are put together, but as far as I have been able to find, it looks like there is some sort of adapter piece that goes through the outlet box and it soldered to the pipes, then the hose bibb just screws into that. Am I correct in that? Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 12:08 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Since your link doesn't work AND because an image of something at HD doesn't tell me a thing about how it might be installed in your house I'm going to say, "Probably not" as an answer to your question.

Depending on the age of your house and what materials were used when it was built it is quite possible the piping to the valve box is copper and that the copper pipes were directly soldered to the valves. If the valves are independent of each other and they have "multiple turn" screw handles it is possible that all you need to do is take the valve apart at the "bonnet" and replace a washer.

A picture of your installation would be helpful. Pictures need to be uploaded to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com and then the URL of the photo posted here.

Old 07-27-09, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My apologies. I have gotten working pictures of the outlet box from the Oatey site (and the replacement valves from there), and I will get installation pictures tonight.

Looking at the replacement valve picture, it looks like it is 2 pieces (the valve and the piece that goes to the pipe) and the valve could be replaced independently. I don't know if the pictures linked below will allow a better estimation of an answer, but I will post pictures of the installed box tonight, as well.

BTW, the house was built in 2001. Not sure if this was put in when it was built or after, we just purchased the house.

Outlet Box

Replacement Valves