Drain Pipe is leaking, but I don't know what its made of (see image)

Old 07-27-09, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain Pipe is leaking, but I don't know what its made of (see image)

Help! So this connection where the galvanized steel drain pipe connects into a much larger drain pipe, but I have no idea what its made out of. The larger pipe is what is slowly dripping (as you can see the moisture in the picture). Any advice on how to fix this? This is the top of my kitchen and I plan on putting cabinets in this space, so I can't have a leak once I close this space up.

Thank you!
SNC10826.jpg picture by Dumbgunji - Photobucket

SNC10819.jpg picture by Dumbgunji - Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 04:19 PM
Wow! It goes from copper to galvanized to cast iron. It's possible it's threaded into the cast but most likely it's a gasketed pressure fit. Does it feel like a rubber gasket if you poke at it? If so you might be able to wiggle the galvanized pipe out of there along with the old gasket. You'd probably have to cut the copper female off and fix it with a fernco and short chunk of pvc or something. I think you can buy those gaskets for the cast. I can't tell if the copper is 1 1/2 or 2".

If it's not a gasketed fitting I don't know what to tell you I haven't really run in to that. If you have to beat on the pipe a bit be careful not to crack the cast iron, then you'll be replacing a lot more.

FIY- A fernco is like a rubber coupling with 2 hose clamps to convert 1 type of pipe to another.

P.S. Silicone works wonders also!

Old 07-27-09, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by SDPlumber View Post
Wow! It goes from copper to galvanized to cast iron. It's possible it's threaded into the cast but most likely it's a gasketed pressure fit. Does it feel like a rubber gasket if you poke at it? If so you might be able to wiggle the galvanized pipe out of there along with the old gasket. You'd probably have to cut the copper female off and fix it with a fernco and short chunk of pvc or something. I think you can buy those gaskets for the cast. I can't tell if the copper is 1 1/2 or 2".

If it's not a gasketed fitting I don't know what to tell you I haven't really run in to that. If you have to beat on the pipe a bit be careful not to crack the cast iron, then you'll be replacing a lot more.

FIY- A fernco is like a rubber coupling with 2 hose clamps to convert 1 type of pipe to another.

P.S. Silicone works wonders also!
It seems almost as if it was welded on. Whatever is filling the large pipe so that the smaller pipe can fit is some sort of a metal. I was unable to pull it out and the attempt to do so actually enlarged the leak.

I'm not sure what you mean about cutting the copper female off, why would I do that? I leak is definitely in the connection from the smaller galvanized steel pipe to the larger (as you said cast iron) pipe. Any suggestions, other than putty/epoxy, for this issue?

Old 07-27-09, 07:58 PM
I meant you might have to cut the copper loose in order to get the pipe out of the cast fitting. If it's welded in there with some kind of solder that's way before my time and I don't have any experience with that. I assume they probably used a big torch and some kind of solder. That's all I can tell you.

Old 07-27-09, 08:07 PM
it's possibly a lead filled joint. They used to use oakem ( I think thats what it was called and lead). The lead is pliable, and can be compressed back into the joint with tools and a hammer. Do it very slowly and carefully, your not driving a nail home here, just compress the lead back into the joint.
If this does not seal the joint it may be the oakem has rotted away and lead alone will not seal. Silicone may fix it, but clean everything up very well, and ensure there is no loose bits.

Also lead is a nasty metal, U want to protect yourself from it on your skin and inhaling any airbourne bits.

Old 07-28-09, 02:56 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
It's definitely a leaded joint but I cannot tell if it is poured lead or lead wool. You could try using a flat-ended punch and hammer to tamp the lead tighter around the galvanized but I think you are unlikely to have any luck.

The best method would be to remove the lead and the galvanized nipple and substitute a rubber "donut" that will accept either a copper or plastic pipe and then make the appropriate connection to the copper drain.

Old 08-01-09, 06:25 AM
yep. looks like lead to me. i wouldn't try to fix that. if that galvanized pipe is not rusted through yet, it will be some day.

i would drill out the lead = pretty easy. just a bunch of drill holes till it falls loose.