Shower gives either hot or cold nothing in between

Old 07-28-09, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shower gives either hot or cold nothing in between

Here I am again!!! Darn it. Last weekend I learned to put in a car battery. Now it's the faucet in the shower.

It's a Moen 2352. One day it worked fine, the next night I go to shower and the handle won't pull out like it's supposed to. I have a choice of hot on the left or cold on the right. That was a fast shower!! It's worked fine until now.

I've just spent hours on the internet trying to figure all this out. I have a diagram of the parts. Everything has come out of the wall up to the cartridge. Now I can't get it out. I've heard something about a special tool to get the cartridge out but . . . .? HELP!~!!!!

Where do I go from here? What's the easiest way for me to proceed from here? Should I look for a replacement cartridge and then hope that the rest of everything works from there? Would it help to get a whole new faucet???$$$???? That's probably a whole other can of worms.

Is there somewhere I can find a video or step by step (in simple terms) instructions of how to take care of this? HELP ME~!!!!

I have to use my daughters bathroom until I get this fixed!!! (You REALLY have NO idea . . . . )

As always - thanks so much for your help. You folks are lifesavers. Not to mention $$$$ savers.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-09, 03:17 PM
You are probably talking about the Moen Posi-temp. You may need the tool to remove the cartridge, but it is certainly easier with the tool. Big box should have everything you need, and the tool is inexpensive. I would say it is unusual for both sides to work but nothing in the middle, I guess it is possible. Definitly sounds like the cartridge, but check it when you get it out, could just be some debris clogging something.

Old 07-28-09, 03:49 PM
Start with the cartridge then . . .

Thanks Bill, I'm really bummed about having to fix this. So if I go to 'big box' one or the other . . . .and I ask for a . . . . . 'thing' to help me get the cartridge out of my wall they will know what I"m looking for.? You say they should have everything I should need. Do I tell them that I want to just start out with getting the cartridge out? Is it possible to clean it up in some cases? Or do I need to just get another one right away? Sounds like you think I should check it out first. Well, they're close enough that I can do that before I commit to another one. I guess its the pulling out the cartridge that scares me. I've read where other (forgive me) women have said that they have pulled with all their might and not been able to get it out. OK - I'm game. Tomorow after work I'm stopping by my 'big box' ( I love that) to see if I can get the right tool for my Moen. BTW - is the tool specific to brand or is it universal? Thanks Bill, I'm off to my daughters bathroom for my shower - - - -aaauuggghhh!! Hopefully I can get this fixed tomorrow.

Old 07-29-09, 03:19 PM
Sorry, you can't rely on info from big box stores, in general. There are some that understand what you are asking for. They will have the PosiTemp cartridge, and if you find that, they should know what tool is needed. In fact, both items should be in the same area. The tool is a sleeve with a notch, and a 'T' handle down the middle.

Old 08-07-09, 03:18 PM
Angry HELP!!!! Cartridge broken how do I get it out?

Finally got back to working on this. Tried and tried to get the cartridge out. Used the white tool and everything. WOuldn't come loose. Used the cartridge removal tool. NOthing worked. NOW I've broken off the part that sticks out. HOW DO I get the rest of it out??????? I can't let it go - the water's turned off.

Please help

Old 08-10-09, 04:27 PM
Thumbs down I gave up

OK - after using the special Moen tool that I bought$$. Somehow I broke off the stem of the cartridge. Couldn't figure any other way to get what was remaining out of there.
Bottom line - the guy had to drill out the remainder of the cartridge. Then tried two different positemp cartridges in there before it would set right.
So now after many big bucks. I have a working shower.
My next classes are going to be plumbing classes.

Old 08-10-09, 04:43 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I'll bet you have hard water, right? Here's a maintenance tip. Once or twice a year pull the cartridge and grease it up with some plumber's grease. It's the one failing of the Moen cartridge in my opinion, it doesn't like hard water at all.

Old 08-11-09, 02:13 PM
Grease it up

You're right. We have very hard water and the cartridge has been in there for over 9 years. I heard that if you really grease it up when you first install it that you shouldn't have that problem.
I hate the thought of going through that ($$$$$) again.

Old 08-11-09, 03:31 PM
Spray some CLR into the valve, soak it good, let it sit awhile. That should loosen the crud. I assume you removed the 'U' clip and such that holds the valve in??? You may have to remove the valve in pieces, careful not to damage the valve body.

Old 08-12-09, 12:33 PM
Mary, it doesn't matter if you use ten pounds of grease when installing the cartridge as all but a slight film will be removed by the act of inserting the cartridge. Just use a small amount of grease and then check it six months later. If it can be easily removed then clean and re-grease before reassembly and then wait for a full year and inspect again. If there is a slight mineral buildup after six months then you should remove, clean and reinstall at six month intervals. I do not recommend going longer than a year between inspections.

It only takes ten minutes to remove and replace a cartridge IF it hasn't had mineral buildup. You might want to keep a spare cartridge on hand in case the one you pull has mineral buildup. If it does have the buildup use the CLR as Just Bill detailed.

Be sure to use genuine Moen cartridges and not the Danco "equivalent" cartridge. If you follow these instructions the Moen valve will last a long time with minimal problems.

Old 08-12-09, 06:14 PM
I did everything right

I'm not sure what went wrong here but I sure appreciate you all (that's Southern talking here) keeping up with me. This is the first 'do-it-yourself' project that I've failed at. It really ticks me off.

I will definetly mark my calendar to check the cartridge in March of next year to pull that sucker out and re-grease it. I DID stick with real Moen parts. I just don't know what went wrong.

Here's another thing - (as long as you are listening here - (!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!) the plumber installed a whole new trim kit and an extension something or other. I went into the bathroom just as he was installing a whole new 'faceplate' (my words) to the shower faucet - it was the trim thing. Then there was a new showerhead - HELLO!!!! I'd bought my showerhead separately a few years ago because it gave good water and I wasn't havig any problems with it. Did I get screwed?

I wrote to Moen online and they are willing to replace the cartridge and the valve (?) thing that the plumber thought needed to be replaced. But I really had no reason to ask them to replace the trim or the extension thing (whatever that is) because I don't know why I needed them.

So that's my story. I still haven't gotten the bill - thanks for helping here - it might not have helped for this time - but I'm prepared for this problem from now on -

Old 08-12-09, 09:13 PM
If your plumber replaced the valve body then it is likely he simply purchased an entire valve kit for a shower and that is why it came with a new trim ring (faceplate) and shower head. I don't know what the extension thing might be.

Some plumbers (I am not a plumber) don't like the Moen valve for the very reason that you have experienced but I like Moen and think they have a fine valve. The fact that they have not changed the basic design in about a million years is a testament to its simplicity and ruggedness. However, as I stated previously it does NOT "play well" with hard water and it will require the maintenance I detailed to keep it in good condition. For the record, I have all Moen faucets in my house and I wouldn't have any other brand.