Wax free toilet seal

Old 07-29-09, 06:33 AM
Wax free toilet seal

What is your opinion in using the wax free seal in lieu of the wax ring seal ?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-09, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I tried one and it leaked, had to replace it with a wax seal. Always had the oder and when I replaced it, it appeared that it did not seal to the toilet.

Old 07-30-09, 10:45 PM
I've been called out as a plumber numerous times for these "waxless" seals for leakage.

If the toilet is going to be removed and installed a few times during a remodel, I can see it as functional but there are so many variables that can affect the sealing nature of this product, and anything that's not spec'd to match that large 0-ring to compress against the sidewalls of the piping is just not going to work.

Eventually they are going to do away with this age old style connection and make a built in boot that's going to connect to the piping without the issue of distance between the toilet and flange, flange issues, on and on.

Old 07-31-09, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
I have not any luck with store bought seals that are not wax. If you are having trouble try the wax rings that have a urethane insert. They are not perfect but they work better than plain wax in some instances.

I have had some luck cutting my own seals from closed cell foam rubber sheeting. I use them in old rental houses where the floor may be soft and/or the tabs of the toilet flange are broken. I use a synthetic foam similar to a very thick neoprene. I have different thicknesses depending on the installation. The foam expands and contracts as the toilet moves slightly, maintaining a seal. I am finding that after two years even high quality foam stops springing back and gas or liquid starts to leak out.

Like Dunbar I am waiting for the industry to get away from the toilet flange and wax ring.