Tapping into drain for washing machine. How does this look?

Old 08-01-09, 08:23 AM
Tapping into drain for washing machine. How does this look?

Besides that '2" is not large enough for a washing machine' feedback does this look like it would work? There is currently a 1.5" line coming down from the upstairs sink that goes into a 2" line about 14" above the ground. I need to run a new 1.5" line right next to the existing one for the vent and then tap into the 2" for the new drain.

The new vent has to be on the left of the existing one due to space above but the new drain and machine will be on the right of the existing line.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-09, 02:36 PM
Washing Machine Drain

2in. is o.k. for the wash machine drain, the stand pipe off the trap has to be a minimum of 18in. The vent is something else, it has to be 6in. above the FLOOD LEVEL RIM of the highest fixture connected before you can tie into it. The way you have the sink drain drawn makes me question how that is hooked up.

Old 08-01-09, 03:15 PM
Ok, standpipe plenty of room for that to be 18". I have at least a foot above where the sink ties in and if I go higher(kitchen wall) I could have up to three feet.

Old 08-02-09, 09:53 AM
If you plumb it like your diagram it should be ok. Is all of that up to code? Maybe not. But will it work just fine? Yes.

Old 08-02-09, 09:55 AM
Washer Machine Rough-in

I'm not sure I was clear enough about the vent tie-in, but what I meant was if you have a kitchen sink tied into that line the new vent has to be 6in. above the top of the sink bowl (Flood Level Rim) before you can tie the vent from your wash machine into it; hope thats clearer.

Old 08-03-09, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
I'm not sure I was clear enough about the vent tie-in, but what I meant was if you have a kitchen sink tied into that line the new vent has to be 6in. above the top of the sink bowl (Flood Level Rim) before you can tie the vent from your wash machine into it; hope thats clearer.
Ah, top of the sink..I was thinking sink drain. In that case I'm going to have to run the pipe all the way up the wall so it's above the sink line..not a big issue just more holes.

The other issue is the existing pipes are ABS so I'm going to have to use those rubber gaskets to connect the old ABS to the new PVC.

Old 08-04-09, 07:17 PM
Maybe its just me!

O.K., I normally agree with shacko (very, very knowelegable in the trade) but something about this picture caught my eye. The drain section, well perhaps ok, the vent is a no no. By any code you are not allowed to off set a vent below the flood rim. In your design if the 2" drain below the washer trap happens to stop up it will allow water and waste to enter the vent system for the washer which is not a washed line. No code allows for this set up. From your diagram the vent off sets below two flood rims. Will it drain? Yes. Is it legal? No

Old 08-22-09, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by wrmiii View Post
From your diagram the vent off sets below two flood rims. Will it drain? Yes. Is it legal? No
Are you saying that the vent offset must be above the sink as well? Isn't it just 6" above the standpipe before he can offset horizontally?