Toilet Drain Question

Old 08-03-09, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Drain Question

All the plumbing layout diagrams I've seen show every toilet drain routed to the horizontal soil stack. Is this absolutely necessary? In the log home I'm building, the drain line at the bottom of the stack will run horizontally across the crawl space and directly under the first floor bathroom. Assuming it will be properly vented, is there any reason I couldn't wye that toilet's drain into the horizontal pipe? Or for that matter, the sink and tub drains as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-09, 02:53 PM
Drain Line

As long as the line is large enough for the fixtures that will be connected you can run it where you propose.

Old 08-04-09, 05:17 AM
Great, thanks for the info.

Old 08-04-09, 05:04 PM
Horizontal Stack?

MD: Never heard of a horizontal stack of any type. Stack is in a vertical direction only. Vent Stack / Waste Stack or Soil Stack. Soil stack being the one that carries human waste. A waste stack will carry discharge from fixtures not containing human waste. Sounds sorta weired but thats how it works. As for your question, At the bottom of your stack the line turns horizontal becoming the building drain line. (Once it exits the foundation it is called the building sewer) You certainly may install a wye in the drain line to install an extra bath. Depending on code in your jurisidiction you may be required to "stack" your fittings for the commode rough in. Meaning that when you install the wye you must run your line directly to a wall behind or to the side of the commode, turn up towards the center line of the wall with a 90 degree short sweep, stack a sanitary tee on top of the 90 looking toward the center line of the commode drain and continue straight up from the tee into the wall with your vent. Its not real difficult and with a little research I am sure you could handle this. Good Luck with your project

Old 08-04-09, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I think it's just a terminology discussion. You'll be running the toilet drain and wye-ing it into your building drain. I think "technically" you're not using the main soil stack.

Regardless, I see no issue with what you have planned.

Old 08-06-09, 07:20 AM
My bad. I indeed meant vertical stack.