Sealing gas main entry port on vinyl siding

Old 08-05-09, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing gas main entry port on vinyl siding

My gas main enters the house thru an opening in the vinyl siding. The entry orifice is larger than the pipe diameter so that gap is filled with a putty like material much like plummers putty which has dried out and needs to be replaced. What mateiral can I use to replace this? is it the same as plummers putty or is there something else that is designed to be used outdoor?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-09, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
In the electrical department of a Box store or a good hardware store. In the Navy we called it (sorta) monkey "poo". It comes in small blocks. Used to be green, at least what I've used.

Old 08-05-09, 12:22 PM
thanks for the assistance

Old 08-05-09, 09:01 PM
I looked up monkey poo and came up with just that.

Is there a trade name for this product? I'm curious to know what I would ask for without being told to go to the local zoo.

Old 08-05-09, 09:17 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Duxseal is one brand name. The generic would be electrical duct seal. My daddy used to call it "dum-dum" but a Google using that gets lots of hits that have nothing to do with what we are discussing.

Understand that this compound would only be for sealing the hole through the sheathing and not on the vinyl siding itself. Since vinyl siding moves quite a bit due to temperature changes you would need an escutcheon on the pipe itself and NOT attached to the siding that is large enough to cover the hole while still allowing the siding to move freely under the escutcheon.