Vanity w/drawers interferes with pipes

Old 08-10-09, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vanity w/drawers interferes with pipes

We bought a 36" Home Depot vanity with 2 right-side drawers and a bottom drawer. Same size as what was in the space, but I am concerned about placement of pipes. The pipe is only 15 inches from the wall, but the drawers don't end until 16 inches. The multi-colored spot in the photos is where the drain pipe would hit -- and of course it comes out from the wall 7 inches before turning (would turn left instead of right).

PS -can't seem to upload photo; but the pipe would enter the back of the vanity right where the upper drawer guide is.

So I guess I'd be looking at the expense of moving the pipe, since I don't think we can handle that level of plumbing ourselves. Depending on studs, I guess a horizontal move is expensive? And I don't think I can move up as it wouldn't drain properly? Currently the center is about 16" from the floor (but adding ceramic tile floor will add 1/2"?).

Don't want to get the plumber out and find he has to do major work after the floor is in. Should I just return it and get a different vanity? I did a search and found one that has drawers off center, so they don't come so close to the plumbing. But I would like to keep this one if it could work without a major plumbing expense.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-09, 03:47 PM
Not an unusual problem, but if the new cabinet is essentially the same as the old, it should work. Moving the plumbing on the vanity side of the wall is easy, moving the plumbing on the stud side of the wall is expensive and difficult. It is possible to sneak in behind the drawers with the proper fittings. It may or may not be a DIY job, depends on your skills/knowledge.

Old 08-10-09, 04:46 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
In order to post a picture you first have to upload the picture to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com and then post the URL of the picture on the forum.

Old 08-10-09, 05:39 PM
Thanks .... let me try that again....

or if that doesn't work, the URL is http://twillmanprojects.shutterfly.com/42

Old 08-11-09, 03:35 PM
You may have just enough space to get the drain in, but the cold shutoff may need a shorter nipple. Can the vanity move over, even a slight bit??

Install the wall nipple(very short nipple), and maybe a short el, with the top off and drawers out, don't glue it up unitl it fits.