Noisy Neptune T10 Water Meter

Old 08-12-09, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Noisy Neptune T10 Water Meter

Hello,

I recently unhooked the brass unions on my water meter yoke to replace a bad upstream shut-off valve, re-assembled everything and turned water back on at the curb with no problems. However now the meter is really noisy when water is flowing. It sounds like a rotational "grinding" noise which gets louder and faster as flow increases.

Does anyone know what this might be and how I might fix it? As a last resort I can call the city water department to replace the meter, but I'd really like to avoid the service call if possible. Thanks.

PS. The meter is nearly new maybe 3 years old and was virtually silent before the recent disconnect / reconnect.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-09, 12:46 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
It's normal for a water meter to make a certain amount of noise and I don't know what you consider to be "really noisy". One thing I will state is that the meter is usually the property of the water utility and you set yourself up for the liability of any damage when you disconnected it.

It's possible that the noise you are hearing is because of air in the meter and it will stop once the air has been removed. If it hasn't quieted down in a week then I suggest you call the utility.

Old 08-12-09, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by furd View Post
It's normal for a water meter to make a certain amount of noise and I don't know what you consider to be "really noisy".
It's in the basement, and I can hear it outside when I'm watering the shrubs. Previously you could hear it only if you were standing 10' from it in the basement.

One thing I will state is that the meter is usually the property of the water utility and you set yourself up for the liability of any damage when you disconnected it.
It's okay to do it as long as I notified the city ahead of time (which I did).

It's possible that the noise you are hearing is because of air in the meter and it will stop once the air has been removed. If it hasn't quieted down in a week then I suggest you call the utility.
I thought it might be air, but it seems like a lot of noise for air.

Old 08-12-09, 01:19 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I would call the utility then. Being able to hear the meter at that distance and through walls is definitely excessive.