Hot Water Recirculation

Old 08-17-09, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Recirculation

Have read numerous past threads dealing w/ hot water recirculation systems. This is an improvement which I've considered for years to reduce water wasted, as well as to save unnecessary water from over-burdening my septic system. My home is slab on grade and was not plumbed to include a loop return, thus any recirc system I use would have to return through the cold water line.

The Met Lund D'mand and other similar systems seem to be the choice of many. Has anyone installed or had any experience with systems such as the Hot Water Lobster? These use the thermal properties of water rather than a pump for recirc.

Prices vary considerably between the two type systems. Again, as discussed on previous threads, has anyone realized merit to building their own system? Seems as if a person with reasonable mechanical aptitude could handle this if he were able to obtain proper materials.

Look forward to any and all opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-09, 12:17 PM
Do you live in a part of the country where you can run water lines in the attic?

Old 09-07-09, 05:46 PM
There would be no problem running water lines in the attic, since replumbs here have used Pex as well as CPVC overhead. Are you suggesting a return line be installed in this manner? Interesting idea - have you done any recirc installs this way and were you pleased with the results?