Toilet flushes poorly - what do I do?

Old 08-19-09, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet flushes poorly - what do I do?

I have a toilet that flushes poorly, water empties maybe 1 out of 5 flushes. Our tank drains into the bowl after water spins and bowl fills and then the tank fills normally.

Please suggest what I need to check or look for to fix this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-09, 08:50 PM
gravity plus

1) One guy fixed his by taking the toilet off and found a paint brush caught in it.

2) another guy with a septic system added rid-x and it cured it.

3) Another guy fixed his because the venting was not working.
can be a birds nest, or improper design etc.

4) there are little holes around the top of the inner bowl that have to breath and can get clogged up.

5) The guy at the ACE Hardware said flappers can get
water logged and drop prematurely.

Old 08-22-09, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm an OSU Guy

The last time I encountered this, the toilet was faulty. It was a Kohler and my customer had endured it for 20 yrs. Replaced with a Toto and everything has been great. I realize there are a myriad of problems that can cause this, but that's my 2 cents. Most of you out there in America won't understand the OU/OSU thing.

Old 08-24-09, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the tip. Any other repair options other than replacing the toilet? I plan to check my vent pipe, I'm hoping it's that simple.

What's the best way to check the holes that allow water into the bowl, can those get clogged? If so, what's the best way to un-clog them?

By the way, good luck against Georgia, most OU fans are hoping OSU wins that game so it helps your record for our Bedlam game in November.

Old 08-25-09, 12:29 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Has this toilet always had this problem or has it been getting progressively worse? About how old is this toilet? The first generation of 1.6 gallon flush toilets were really lousy flushers.

I'm betting you have hard water, too. Do you use a water softener and is the toilet fill connected to the softened water or is it piped ahead of the softener? The minerals in hard water are notorious for plugging the rim flush holes. You can visually inspect them with a small hand mirror held in the bowl to allow you to look up under the rim. Sometimes you can clean the holes with a bent wire coat hanger but often it takes a strong acid being poured down the overflow tube inside the tank. Using the acid is dangerous so I don't recommend a homeowner/DIYer use this acid method.

Replacement of the toilet may be the best bet if this is one of the notoriously bad toilets that have been installed in years past.

Old 08-29-09, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Siphon Jet

I am always more suspicious of the siphon jet than the rim holes on a lazy bowl. The siphon jet is near the very bottom of the bowl and jump starts the siphon action thru the trap, rather than filling the bowl and letting gravity take over. Older toilets had pretty small jet holes. Toto was the first to really enlarge it, but others have knocked off the design.