reducing pipes sizes for washer drain, overflow problem?

Old 08-21-09, 10:39 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
reducing pipes sizes for washer drain, overflow problem?

Hi There,

Question about washer drainage pipes and possible overflow. If I reduce pvc pipe from 2'' to 1 3\4'' for my washer machine drainage will that create over flow? Reducing will take place on the same pipe were is air vent for drain just 10 feet bellow in the basement. We just installed everything for w\d but because it is older house drain pipe in the basement is rusty so it leaks when we connected pipe to it.(See pics)

link: Flickr: JohnMiller.us70's Photostream

I want insert pvc pipe into metal drain to skip using rusty pipe but I am concern about possible overflow cause by reducing the drain pipe size.
Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
John Miller,
Washington DC

Last edited by John Miller; 08-21-09 at 11:54 AM. Reason: adding pics
Old 08-21-09, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hard to tell exactly what you are trying to do..but yes..reducing the drain on a washer can often cause overflow problems. Especially with newer washers that have high flow rates.

Best to just remove all the bad pipe and repipe with pvc. Many options on how to connect the two.

Old 08-21-09, 11:52 AM
J
add photos

Thanks for reply. I added pics for better understanding of the project.

here is the link:
Flickr: JohnMiller.us70's Photostream

Old 08-21-09, 12:12 PM
Reducing Drain

Since there isn't any 1 3/4in. pipe it looks like you want to shove a piece of 1 1/2in. into a 2in., very bad idea what you have to do is to cut out the old pipe, run 2in. to a trap and put a 18in to 30in standpipe in the trap. You may need a vent on this.

BTW Your picture isn't comming thru.

Picture came thru, all you have to do is remove cast iron stub and install pvc into the lower hub with a hub gasket, Fernco sells them. Discard the top of my post, luck.

Old 08-21-09, 01:06 PM
J
Originally Posted by shacko
Since there isn't any 1 3/4in. pipe it looks like you want to shove a piece of 1 1/2in. into a 2in., very bad idea what you have to do is to cut out the old pipe, run 2in. to a trap and put a 18in to 30in standpipe in the trap. You may need a vent on this.

BTW Your picture isn't comming thru.

Picture came thru, all you have to do is remove cast iron stub and install pvc into the lower hub with a hub gasket, Fernco sells them. Discard the top of my post, luck.
Thanks for the reply.
When you say remove cast iron stub do you think just rusted pipe or that whole orange piece?
Also what do you think if I try to clean rust and then use epoxy putty and waterprof tape?
Cheers.

Old 08-22-09, 02:01 PM
Wash Machine Hook-Up

I would take the orange piece out and the first hub, should be easier than trying to get piece out by itself. I would not try epoxy and waterproof tape, if it dosen't work you will have a mess on your hands.

Old 08-23-09, 09:39 AM
J
thanks for reply, I will try to remove old pipe and let you know how it goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: