Water Hammer maybe?

Old 08-22-09, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Hammer maybe?

I have a very annoying noise going on in my upstairs pipes when the downstairs kitchen sink is being used. I can here a clanging noise every few seconds when someone is using the kitchen sink in my closet area. It doesn't happen when any other faucet is used or even the dish washer, just the sink. It doesn't matter if its the cold or hot water either. Only other thing I noticed that has started to act up a little is when the masterbath toilet is flushed, after it fills up and the water shuts off I get a clanging noise as well for a split second. I was going to replace all the guts in the toilet as it is fairly old but want to determine the other pipe noise when the sink it being used unless they are both related. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-09, 09:40 PM
Anyone have ideas with what is going on?

Old 08-26-09, 03:30 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
The split-second bang when the toilet fill valve shuts off is water hammer. The continuous banging when the sink is in use is likely a loose washer, bad cartridge or bad flow diverter (for the sprayer) in the sink faucet.

Old 08-27-09, 07:16 PM
So eventhough the sound is upstairs when the downstairs faucet is running it is focused on the kitchen sink? I will have a look and see what I can find. Since I am new at this, where am I looking exactly for a loose washer or bad cartridge?

Old 09-18-09, 09:08 PM
Can anyone add more insight, I have been reading and reading trying to figure out how to check the washer in the sink faucet as well as others listed but can't get a clear perspective of how to do it. The faucet is a single lever Moen type with the pull out faucet. Please if anyone can help that would be awesome,

To add, I drained all water from the pipe in the house and re-pressurized them and the clanking went away for about a day. It came on faint after that and now 4 days later it is back to its normal loud clanging every few seconds when the water is running.

Old 09-19-09, 09:14 AM
See here for a Moen faucet rebuild with pictures: Replace Moen Cartridge how to fix a moen faucet

Caryman

Old 09-19-09, 11:04 AM
My Bad. That previous post is for tub faucet. Don't have one for Moen Kitchen Sink pictorial.

Here's the next best thing, a pictorial of a Delta Kitchen Sink tear down: Repair a delta single handle kitchen faucet

It won't be exactly the same, but will give you an idea of the general construction.

CaryMan

Old 09-19-09, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the link, hopefully I can make sense of it when I get to the sink again. Only real difference is the faucet on mine is the type that has the flex hose connected so you can pull it of the housing and move it around the edges of the sink. Would the same concept apply to where everything is since the link you gave was for a standard mount faucet where water comes up through the actual housing and it uses the o-rings within it to keep it from leaking?

Old 09-20-09, 05:18 AM
I would surmise that the guts are now all in the movable head. Go to the manf site. The pdf's available are usually quite good with parts breakdown and how everything is stacked together.

CaryMan

Old 09-20-09, 07:37 AM
Moen's customer support is tremendous.