replacing 2 shut offs on same pipe

Old 08-24-09, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing 2 shut offs on same pipe

Ok i turned off the water at the control valves that the washer hoses connect too. But the hot water still flows through the hose like a stream making the rubber hose hot. I turn off the other hot water valve which cuts the water to the laundry tube sink. again water still comes out of the hose though it is just a trickle. how do i know its not left over water in the hose. I lift the hose up and watch it over flow. should i rebuild the valves or replace with a compression fitting valve. i do not want to solder due to the closeness of the wall. I searched some hardware stores online but most only have the kind with female threads on the valve. i guess its called a gateway valve. any idea where i can pick up some. i searched google but no one has the ones i need.

heres a pick. you can see the washer valve that needs replacing and underneath it is the shut off.

Last edited by flirty1; 08-24-09 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-09, 08:52 AM
Well the valves at least need to be rebuilt.As for replacements compression version of the valve shown does exist and may be available at a plumbing supply that sells to the public or a full line hardware store.I do know it is available through Ace hardware but may not be stocked at all locations,it could be ordered and be there in a couple of days.Note:the valve shown is known as a boiler drain.The other valve in the background isn't visible enough for an opinion.

The valve shown looks to be in good condition so a rebuild is probably worthwhile.That said be prepared to find it damaged and in need of replacement anyway.

Old 08-24-09, 01:34 PM
i thought it might be a boiler drain but wasn't sure. heres a pic of the other valve which is a stop and waste. the picture is not great but you should get the idea.

Old 08-24-09, 02:55 PM
That valve needs to be replaced.No point in trying to repair it at all.It requires soldering to replace it but there is a compression version of it.Again a plumbing supply that sells to the public or a full line hardware store.That said the best thing to do is have someone replace it with a sweat valve like you have reducing the possibilities of leaks.

Old 08-24-09, 03:18 PM
the reason i do not want to solder is cause of the drywall or sheet rock behind the pipes. i supposed i could have a plumber put up some kind of fire proof blanket behind the pipe to protect the wall while he works.

Old 08-24-09, 04:23 PM
A pro should be able to do it without problems.Someone did it before and it can be done again.