Garbage Disposal Problems

Old 08-26-09, 10:08 AM
Garbage Disposal Problems

The drain pipe after the disposal that is divided (i.e. there is a separator so the disposal effluent only drains in half the pipe) is consistently clogging. Routine stuff like carrots and cabbage, no bones, no stringy stuff. The matter looks adequately ground up, but I am not sure if this is so. The section of pipe is completely vertical, so I cannot see it being a pipe issue, but again I am not sure. By the same token I do not want to replace the GD unit (no pun intended) just to have the same problem. Do the impellers in GD's wear out reducing the thrust or pressure with which the effluent is ejected? Is my only option to replace the GD unit?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-09, 01:05 PM
Question Disposer Problem

.....RoadKingBob The drain pipe after the disposal that is divided (i.e. there is a separator so the disposal effluent only drains in half the pipe) .......

I don't have a clue what that means, I know of no divided pipes pertaining to a disposer, try to expain better or post pic if you can.

Old 08-26-09, 01:35 PM
Garbage Disposal Problem

Installation is in a double basin sink. The pipe that connects to the P-trap is "T" shaped, but on its side. The straight vertical section that connects to the disposal and the trap has an integral molded divider, that divider runs to below where the horizontal pipe connects to the vertical pipe. The horizontal pipe runs to the vertical pipe below the other sink. I assume that is to prevent back flow when the second sink is draining, or to prevent backflow into the second sink when the disposal is operating/draining.

Old 08-26-09, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by shacko View Post
.....RoadKingBob The drain pipe after the disposal that is divided (i.e. there is a separator so the disposal effluent only drains in half the pipe) .......

I don't have a clue what that means, I know of no divided pipes pertaining to a disposer, try to expain better or post pic if you can.
I cannot atachh or insert pictures without a URL and I do not have a web site for my pictures. Is there an e-mail address where I can send them?

Old 08-26-09, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
No..it needs to be uploaded to a site like photo bucket or flicker..only takes a few minutes.

Then use the info from the image and insert that into your post using the "insert image" button.

Your description kinda confused me as well...

Old 08-26-09, 06:26 PM
Garbage Disposal

OK, will try to get up tomorrow - certainly seems labor intensive!

One more description - the vertical pipe has a baffle that is adjacent to where the horizontal pipe intersects with the Vertical pipe.

| |
| |
| |
| L____________
| /
| /
| | ____________
| |
| |
| |

The output from the disposal is getting jammed at that baffle. The proportions in the above line rendering are not accurate the baffle is about halfway the diameter of the vertical pipe.

The vertical goes from the disposal to the P-trap. The horizontal is coming from the second sink.

Old 08-27-09, 02:48 PM
Disposal Prob.

Sounds like you are refering to a baffel fitting used with double sinks; not something that I have ever used, maybe someone else will post and help you out, sorry. BTW I have seen something that pertains on Terry Loves Forum.