Can a flexible gas line (CSST) be capped?

Old 08-28-09, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can a flexible gas line (CSST) be capped?

I am removing a gas fireplace. A flexible gas line (CSST) connects to the fireplace insert, and goes into my wall. Photo at this link:

Picasa Web Albums - Sarah

The wall seen is an exterior wall, venting directly outside. The main gas service enters my house on this wall, about 15 feet to the right of this photo.

The CSST to the fireplace enters the wall then goes upward. I do not know where it connects to rigid pipe (and presumably a shut-off valve). I am guessing there is either pipe running at ceiling level that it connects to, or the CSST runs at ceiling level and connects to the pipe near the main service entrance.

Instead of digging through my walls to search for the connection/shut off valve, I would like to cap off the CSST at this location and install a cabinet in the wall to maintain access. This would also preserve the possibility of re-installing a gas fireplace in the future.

Is it acceptable to cap CSST? If so, do I need to shut off the main gas service to do so? One more if so, what precautions do I need to take in shutting off and restoring main gas service - my furnace, oven range, and dryer all use gas.

Thanks for any help. I was a little surprised when the construction services of my gas company suggested I research the internet for the answer to this question.

~Sarah

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 02:34 PM
Question Capping Gas

I'm not sure if that hook-up you have is legal, but a gas line should be capped off at a valve, you will have to find the valve, disconnect the flex line and put a short nipple and cap in it, leave valve off when done.

If you don't have a valve on that line I think you should get a plumber or gasfitter to do the disconnect, your fixtures will have to be re-lit or purged if the main is shut off, luck.

Old 08-28-09, 04:22 PM
I believe this is a legal hook-up. CSST is an allowed alternative to rigid pipe here.

Any suggestions on how to locate the connection? The obvious solution is to keep cutting the wall until I find it, but wondering if there's any other tricks.

If there is no shut-off valve I will hire someone to do the disconnect.

Old 08-28-09, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Some newer stud finders also contain a metal detector for finding pipes in a wall, Can't say how accurate they are. If there is an attic above I would look there.

Old 08-28-09, 07:33 PM
I cut a hole directly above where the ceiling and the wall meet and found the connection (yay) but there was no shut off valve (boo). The rigid pipe runs through the ceiling.

The fireplace removal is on hold until I can get someone to do the disconnect for me. I'm not too keen on asphyxiation or explosion. ;-) At least it should be a fairly simple service call.

Old 08-29-09, 12:14 PM
Smile Capping Gas Line

Adjil: Sorry you didn't fine a valve, sounds like poor practice by the one that installed the original line. All gas appliances should have a unconcealed dedicated shut-off valve, luck.

Old 09-05-09, 05:34 PM
Another follow up - my gas line guy said it is OK to cap CSST, but I chose to have it removed. The connection was too close to a stud to install a shut off valve where it was connected.

Once I began removing the fireplace, I did find a shut-off valve underneath - in the vicinity of the pilot light controls, but not in a place where it would help with removal.