Conflict: outlet box & vent pipe [Merged thread]]

Old 08-29-09, 06:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conflict: outlet box & vent pipe [Merged thread]]

Replacing bathroom vanity with pedestal sink; noticed that light fixture above drain pipe, angle stops and future sink is offset 4-6". Need to relocate outlet box so light fixture is centered over sink. Cut-out a section of drywall, and OOPS - didn't think about the 2" abs vent pipe running right up the middle. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-09, 06:47 PM
Conflict: vent pipe vs. outlet box

Replacing bathroom vanity with pedestal sink; noticed that light fixture above drain pipe, angle stops and future sink is offset 4-6". Need to relocate outlet box so light fixture is centered over sink. Cut-out a section of drywall, and OOPS - didn't think about the 2" abs vent pipe running right up the middle. Any ideas?

Old 08-29-09, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
About the only thing you can do is use a wider, multiple bulb light fixture, so the entrance of the power cable can be offset. Plumbers got there first. Unless you want to go to a lot, I mean A LOT of trouble to offset the vent through the adjoining stud space, changing the fixture is easier.

Old 08-29-09, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it is PVC I'd cut out about a 1 feet and move it over using double 45 elbows at each end. If you don't want to do that and have only one or two cables you might be able to use a pancake box if you have at least a half inch to spare. You would use a box mounting bar from stud to stud and fasten the box to that . You'd probably have to screw the mounting bar to the studs because no room to swing a hammer.

If you use a light bar you may be able to use the original box. Just drill a new hole in the light bar lined with the existing box and fasten the light bar to the wall.

Old 08-29-09, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
About the only thing you can do is use a wider, multiple bulb light fixture, so the entrance of the power cable can be offset. Plumbers got there first. Unless you want to go to a lot, I mean A LOT of trouble to offset the vent through the adjoining stud space, changing the fixture is easier.
Thank you for the post. I agree, I couldn't think of any way to do this without rerouting the vent. Or as you mentioned, using a different light fixture. Seems like this would be a very common situation with an easier solution. Thanks again.

Old 08-29-09, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If it is PVC I'd cut out about a 1 feet and move it over using double 45 elbows at each end. If you don't want to do that and have only one or two cables you might be able to use a pancake box if you have at least a half inch to spare. You would use a box mounting bar from stud to stud and fasten the box to that . You'd probably have to screw the mounting bar to the studs because no room to swing a hammer.

If you use a light bar you may be able to use the original box. Just drill a new hole in the light bar lined with the existing box and fasten the light bar to the wall.
Thanks for the help, Ray. I was thinking about re-routing the abs, as you suggested, but the mounting bar is obstructed by the abs no matter where the abs is located between the studs. I can't get enough recess even for a pancake box. I'm afraid I might have to reroute the vent through a stud to the next panel, then back again - probably way too much hassle, not to mention the structural implications. Your "plan B," buying a different light fixture, is looking better all the time. Thanks again.

Old 08-29-09, 08:37 PM
Conflict: vent pipe vs. outlet box

Here's a thought I had for you plumbing folks to consider: the abs vent pipe is there to allow air flow to the drain - in my case, it's a 2" vent. If the fittings are available, I could remove a section of 2" and offset two 1" (left and right) to clear the center of the channel; I'm pretty sure my outlet box mounting bracket would then fit. So I'd wind up with a 1" frame around the outlet box, connecting the 2" above and below. Would that give me the same venting cabability as the continuous 2"? I'd have to check locally, but do you think this would be compliant?

Old 08-30-09, 12:47 PM
Thumbs down Vent Prob.

If you are thinking about reducing the size of the vent and increasing it when you get around the electric box the answer is NO!!, that 2in. probably also vents the toilet, you could end up with future problems with the toilet not flushing properly and creating an ongoing nightmare.