Sweating copper pipe problem

Old 08-31-09, 07:39 AM
Sweating copper pipe problem

For the betterment of the DoItYourself community, I would like to post a piece of information that may help out some when trying to sweat copper pipe and the solder won't flow. Searching the web, you will find that the main culprit is poor preparation. This means that the adjoining copper surfaces were not sufficiently cleaned with an abrasive. My problem, it turned out, was different. My joints still wouldn't solder correctly no matter how much I cleaned them. The solder would merely bead and roll off. The flux would turn brown and get gummy. The problem wasn't too much or too little heat. The problem wasn't the type of flux I was using. I had two different types and both didn't work. The problem was, the flux paste was too old. It's chemical ability had dissipated. I purchased new flux and sweat flow was perfect. My paste was about 15 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-09, 02:34 PM
Smile Bad Flux

rtischer: You are 100% correct. Did a job 30years ago in a crawl space that was a thousand feet long, had to crawl to get to the work area, after crawling out twice called the manufactor and they said that flux didn't go bad (bull poo).

BTW The flux I was using wasn't old, straight from the supply house so you should keep in mind that a persistent problem trying to solder could be a (new?) container also, luck.

Old 08-31-09, 04:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That's why I recommend shark byte couplings. You clean the pipes & snap them together like Legos. Home Depot carries them.

Old 09-01-09, 02:50 PM
Smile SharkBite Fittings

Pulpo: SharkBite fittings have their use, but they are limited by where they can be used and the super high cost, open repairs are fine ( some jurisdictions don't allow concealment) and if you need thousands for a job they are out of the equation.

Old 09-01-09, 04:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Once, I was having a hard time, like the original poster & I welcomed them with opened arms. At that point, the cost didn't matter. I just wanted to finish. Even if I needed 10 of them for $100, I would have paid. We've all been to that point on one job or another.