kitchen sink sprayer won't spray

Old 08-31-09, 09:51 AM
kitchen sink sprayer won't spray

I just installed a new sprayer in my kitchen sink because the one that was in there when I bought the house never worked. I thought that the sprayer was just broke. I bought the hose and all. Installed it last night and its not spraying either. I don't know if something has plugged the line from the sink or what. Before I hooked it back up i turned the water on, curious as to if water was coming out. It didn't so I am wondering if something is clogged. What should I do? Thank you all in advance with your help on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-09, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
It depends on the faucet brand..but there is a little valve called a diverter inside the body of the faucet somewhere. If you know the brand we can point you to a diagram.

When you push the button on the sprayer, it releases pressure on the valve which then diverts all water from the spout to the sprayer hose.

Most times you have to pull the spout assembly off of the faucet body.

Old 08-31-09, 10:15 AM
I will take a look at it this evening and see if I can get you the brand.

Old 08-31-09, 05:47 PM
It is a Delta brand. I got home and unscrewed the hose from the fitting and stuck a wire clothes hanger up in it to see if something was clogged. I could tell that it was just going up and hitting metal. Any ideas?

Old 08-31-09, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Dude..coat hangers are a non-tool for faucets....

It will be in the front of the faucet body...2 handle or single?

I prob won't answer tonite..dinner is calling..but tommorrow morning I'll show you a diagram.

Old 09-01-09, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Need to know if its a 2 handle with center spout..single lever on top of spout or something else....sorry. Wrong diagram wouldn't help though.

Old 09-01-09, 06:58 AM
It is a single lever on top of spout.

Old 09-01-09, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Ok...heres a link to the diagram.... Product Documentation : Customer Support : Delta Faucet

Heres the generic manual as well...
Product Documentation : Customer Support : Delta Faucet

RP320 is what you'll need to get to. You'll have to pull the handle, the cap and the spout..I think thats all. Getting the setscrew out an old faucet handle can be a challenge, but everything else should be pretty simple. Parts are available almost anywhere faucets are sold, I'd recommend staying with real Delta parts if you can find them. Just get the entire repair kit..I believe that includes the diverter, but check to be sure. You'll probably need to replace the O-rings that seal the spout.

Turn off the water first!

Old 09-01-09, 08:06 AM
This is the item.

Delta Diverter Assembly # RP320 by Delta Faucet

Look for it within the faucet body under the spout area.

Old 09-01-09, 08:57 AM
So what I have is a faucet that doesn't have the attachments for a sprayer? This is more work than I was looking for but it is cheaper than replacing the whole sink and faucet. I will give this a shot and see what I can do. Won't have time until one day next week. I will let you guys know. Thank you very much.

Old 09-01-09, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
No..if there is a connection under the sink for a sprayer..then the faucet is designed for it.

Normally it would have 2 lines for the hot and cold, then the hose screws into the bottom under the spout..or to an extension that comes down.

Old 09-01-09, 09:24 AM
I take it then that this diverter piece just goes out then and needs to be replaced? I guess I am just having a hard time understanding why it isn't working. After looking at these diagrams, its going to be an easy fix. I do have the two lines for hot and cold and also have the line that drops down for the hose to connect to but it just doesn't spray.

Old 09-01-09, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Yep...pretty easy once you get the handle off. You may just be able to clean it..but no guarantee it would work..then you'd be taking it apart again. I'd just replace it.

Lots of things can cause it..mineral build up, chlorine in the water makes the rubber hard...etc etc.

Old 09-01-09, 09:42 AM
Well it looks like I have a little work ahead of me. I really appreciate it and will let you know what the outcome is.

Old 09-01-09, 10:12 AM
If it was me while I had the faucet apart I'd totally rebuild it.There are kits with all the parts needed for doing it and if the diverter has gone bad chances are it needs a rebuild.

The diverter does not come in the rebuild kit.

Might save you another job later on.

Old 09-01-09, 10:18 AM
Your probably right about that. I am just looking for a quick fix for the time being. I will be replacing the whole sink and faucet later on this Fall.

Old 09-05-09, 02:43 AM
Lots of good advise.
1) Does the sprayer attach to the faucet or a flexible water supply line? I've seen people try to add sprayers by tapping directly into a supply line before. Don't to it, it doesn't work!

2)If it attaches to brass connection next to or near the hot and cold line of the faucet you probably will have a bad diverter, as previously mentioned. This is a part that does not fail regularly, but it does move and anything that moves can seize or fail.

3) Shut off water! Nothing like having having to play 52-card pickup with small faucet parts.

4) Disassemble the faucet (easier said than done). This will very widely depending on the brand, age and type of faucet. You're lucky, Deltas are easier than most Moens.
The faucet does not need to be removed from the sink to do this repair. Save yourself a lot of hassle and leave the faucet mounted to the sink.

• Remove the handle. Typically by setscrew that hides under blue and red button near the front of the handle.
  • Remove the retaining nut. Usually will remove by hand, but may require more... persuasive methods.
  • Remove plastic cap, mixing ball with stem. The two rubber seals under the stainless steel ball can stay in place. But this is an ideal time to replace these seals. If you do, replace the springs under these seals at the same time.
  • Once these are out of the way, the entire spout of the faucet should only be held in by two o-rings. Lift straight up, be careful or expect to replace these o-rings (usually included with repair kit, < $10).
  • With the spout out of the way you should be able to see a small white and brass thing. This is the diverter. Remove it and replace with new (threaded in, I think?).
  • Reassemble in reverse of disassemble.

The rubber seals and springs are the most common thing to fail in delta faucets. The metal springs relax and allow water to seep past the rubber seals and cause your faucet to drip or stream. Sometime just tightening the retaining nut (under the handle) will be a temporary fix for slow drips.

Something that caught my attention is you said you don't want to have to replace the sink. Faucet and sink are two individual items. You can replace one without replacing the other.