Pex Repipe

Old 09-04-09, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pex Repipe

I have began preparing for a repipe of my home in southern Florida. I have purchased all of the supplies that are needed to install a PEX manbloc system. I have tried to find out what the code requirements are for installing this, or any plumbing system in my home, and have been unsucessful.

I am running the lines from the bloc, mounted in the garage, through the attic, and down through the walls to the valves. I have drilled the holes in the sheet metal in the attic between the drywall at the locations where I need to drop the lines. I installed threaded PVC couplers (to run the lines through) into the holes to prevent metal cutting/scraping the PEX pipe. I have 3/4" line for the supply line to the bloc and 1/2" for the supply lines to the valves. I have cut the holes in the wall below the sink vanity and cabinets to prepare for the lines to run through.

My question is, when installing the system myself is a permit required? If so what are the requirements by code that I need to be aware of in order to pass an inspection by the county when the job is complete. How far apart do the clamps need to be? How close can the lines be to electrical lines running through the attic? Where does the bloc have to be mounted?
Line location, size, sharkbite connnections to the shower valves etc....

Any advice would be helpful when it comes to obtaining my permit and passing the inspection as I have no idea what they will be looking for when they come and I don't want the project to have to be redone because of a minor miscalculation on where a valve is located or a line is.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-09, 02:30 PM
Question Running Pex

You have to know what code your area is using, plus any modifications by local jurisdictions. I think that your best bet is to check in the telephone book under government departments.

Old 09-06-09, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by itjustme View Post
My question is, when installing the system myself is a permit required? If so what are the requirements by code that I need to be aware of in order to pass an inspection by the county when the job is complete. How far apart do the clamps need to be? How close can the lines be to electrical lines running through the attic? Where does the bloc have to be mounted?
Line location, size, sharkbite connnections to the shower valves etc....
These days permits are required practically everywhere, with some exceptions of some really rural places. A call to your local township building department (or town clerk) will get you an answer on what kinds of plumbing projects require permit and inspections.

The inspection process is usually done in two steps, one "rough" when the walls are open, and another "final" when everything is installed and finished. Depending on your particular case, they may just do a final inspection.

The inspection is normally pretty painless. The inspector wants to ensure your installation is safe and up to code, and you should be interested in the same things. On your first inspection, you may fail, but that's okay. The inspector should tell you exactly what you need to do to fix the problems and will come back to ensure they are fixed correctly. Some people get upset when they fail, but in retrospect, the inspector is usually right and the correction is to ensure the system is safe and usable.

Replumbing a house is not rocket science, but it is complicated with a lot of details. Be sure you have a good understanding of what you're doing - and any questions you have can likely be answered here.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-09, 04:04 PM
thanks

Thanks for the replies. I just wasn't sure about the inspection since I'm using the PEX and it's pretty new as far as repipe use. The PEX installation manual makes it seem pretty simple once the lines are ran.

I'll call the county Tuesday.