Joining pvc pipe

Old 09-05-09, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joining pvc pipe

I have to extend 2" pvc pipe using an inside coupler. The coupler fits snug in the new pipe but seems a little loose in the existing pipe which is set in concrete. How much will the pvc cement fill in and give a watertight joint? Is there some sort of rule to use?
Once the joint is set can it be re-enforced with silicone?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-09, 09:11 AM
The fit must be tight,the cement is not a filler.If the fitting is not a tight fit you may have the wrong fitting type.All plastic pipe of various types are the same sizing and all fittings fit tight with no gaps.

Old 09-05-09, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Explain what the pipe is for and if it is schedule 40 PVC. Is this a pressure line or a drain. Never heard of an "inside coupler" on a rigid (schedule 40/80) pressure line.

Old 09-05-09, 02:14 PM
Question PVC Problem

Originally Posted by roneye View Post
I have to extend 2" pvc pipe using an inside coupler. The coupler fits snug in the new pipe but seems a little loose in the existing pipe which is set in concrete. How much will the pvc cement fill in and give a watertight joint? Is there some sort of rule to use?
Once the joint is set can it be re-enforced with silicone?
A coupling goes on the outside of the pipe not inside, explain what you are trying to do; I don't know of any fitting that goes inside of a piece of 2in. PVC.

Old 09-05-09, 03:15 PM
Wondering:

Is this a coupling for the outside of pvc or some other type of plastic pipe that just happens to fit inside pipe the OP has being used incorrectly.

Is this actually a barbed coupling being used on the wrong type of pipe.

Is the OP certain of the type of pipe he has.Are both pipes being connected the same type.

Where did the OP buy the fittings and is this a place with sales help with knowledge.

I didn't even register the "inside" part of this because that just isn't how it works.

Old 09-06-09, 02:55 PM
I am replacing a basement shower drain which has 2" pvc pipe. Since I do not have access under the shower I was planning on using a Wingtite drain. The existing drain pipe is a little too short to accept the Wingtite and thus has to be lengthened. However the Wingtite fits over the outside of the drain pipe so an outside fitting can not be used, thus the inside fitting. As I said the inside fitting is snug in the pipe to be used for the extension, but is not all that snug in the existing pipe which in anchored in concrete.

Old 09-06-09, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
[ If the existing pipe is too short then you would normally cut it even shorter so you can uses a female coupling and short nipple. You may have to drop the trap lower to do this or replace the trap and install a new nipple depending on type of trap..

Last edited by ray2047; 09-06-09 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-06-09, 04:18 PM
Actually through google I found internal pvc couplings.They seem to only be available in a few sizes and look like a coupling with a larger middle band on the outside and are sized to fit inside the pipe.

What I do believe is going on here though is two different types of pipe.If both pipes were pvc and the same size the coupling would have to fit.Since there appears to be a slight size difference one of the two pipes is not regular sch 40 pvc.

Old 09-06-09, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Is the one it fits loosely in colored black?

Old 09-06-09, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
hi Sounds like you are using two different types of pipe. Pvc and Cpvc look alike but have different nominal deminsions.Genova pipe make an adapter for 2" pvc to 2" cpvc.
Part # 55320.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 09-07-09, 02:40 PM
Question

Originally Posted by roneye View Post
I am replacing a basement shower drain which has 2" pvc pipe. Since I do not have access under the shower I was planning on using a Wingtite drain. The existing drain pipe is a little too short to accept the Wingtite and thus has to be lengthened. However the Wingtite fits over the outside of the drain pipe so an outside fitting can not be used, thus the inside fitting. As I said the inside fitting is snug in the pipe to be used for the extension, but is not all that snug in the existing pipe which in anchored in concrete.
I don't know what you are using, but be sure when you glue this up the joint does not interfere with the Wingtite drain, it won't take much to damage the seal.

Old 09-08-09, 11:33 AM
The pipe I'm using for the extender is pvc sch 40. The other pipe is under the shower pan so I can't see the lettering, but both pipes are white. I have an outside coupler which fits both pipes snug. So I guess I should try to use it which means I will have to cut the existing drain pipe. That won't be easy since it is under the shower pan. I was told I need an inside pipe cutter. Getting a square cut will be difficult.
It looks like a need to hire a plumber for this job. That may be my best option.

Old 09-08-09, 01:58 PM
Question

Depending on how long the pipe is comming thru the floor you may still be able to use the Wingtite without a coupling. If the Wingtite goes far enough down and the rubber seal is past the end of the pipe it will work without extending the pipe; that pipe doesn't have to be flush with the top of the shower base.

Old 09-09-09, 12:51 PM
My only option seems to as ray2047 suggested. The drain pipe is definitely too short for the wingtite fitting. That looks pretty difficult for me so as I said I may just hire help.
I got a lot of input on this forum. Thanks.