How sensitive are my fire sprinkler heads?

Old 09-05-09, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How sensitive are my fire sprinkler heads?

While in the attic working on something else, I bumped one of the PVC pipes that's attached to a sprinkler head. The result was the trim ring around the sprinkler head fell off and the head is now jarred out of position.

My concern is 1.) I've made the head inoperable and 2.) I'll rupture it trying to move it back into place and by putting the trim ring back on.

My online searches indicate that I'm more likely to be eaten by a bear than having this sprinkler go off, but I'd still like someone's opinion if you're an expert on these things.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-09, 12:23 PM
Smile Sprinker Head

The most common head has a heat senitive activator, so if you don't beat the hell out of it or set it on fire I don't thiink you will set it off, just use reasonable caution.

Old 09-06-09, 08:56 PM
Thanks.

I delicately placed the trim ring on with no problem.

Old 09-06-09, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Never saw anything but steel pipe used. Off topic but I'm surprised at PVC. I'd be worried a fire would melt it leaving no water downstream of where it melted. As I said though just an off topic comment.

Old 09-06-09, 09:44 PM
Old 09-07-09, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Interesting comment - this past weekend was the first time I saw CPVC used for a sprinkler system at a local restaurant. It was orange colored, so I'd imagine it has a somewhat different composition from standard CPVC, but I'm sure much easier to install than the traditional cast iron.

Interesting...
CPVC Fire Sprinkler Pipe | Harvel BlazeMaster

Old 09-07-09, 07:31 AM
Easier and faster than steel. About a year ago I helped a friend install sprinkler systems. He's really good and really fast. We piped an entire floor of a condo building in one day and installed the heads the next day. The orange pipe we used apparently won't burn, but the glue you use sure burns your skin! Yikes.

Old 09-07-09, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, interesting. Thanks for the link. Just curious enough I may go looking for its melting point when there is water flowing through. I'm guessing it is the flowing water that makes it usable.

Old 09-07-09, 01:41 PM
Smile Sprinkler Pipe

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Never saw anything but steel pipe used. Off topic but I'm surprised at PVC. I'd be worried a fire would melt it leaving no water downstream of where it melted. As I said though just an off topic comment.
The first time I saw it had to be the late 80s, a lot of jurisdictions at that time were requiring sprinklers in apartments then it morphed over to houses. The last time I seen it was on a commercial application; don't know how far its' become acceptable.