Clean-out plug mystery

Old 09-06-09, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean-out plug mystery

In my crawl space I can see what is probably the drain clean-out plug. But what is a clean-out plug? What is its purpose? What does it do? There's not much information on the Internet about the clean-out plug. Some sites talk about parts for them and tell how to remove the covers, but other than that, there's not much information.

Should they be cleaned once in a while? My kitchen sink is becoming pretty sluggish, so I'm planning to call my plumber to clean out the pipes. Should I ask him to check the clean-out plug also? Is this a tough and hard-to-do job? Or would it even be necessary to clean out the plug?

My house is about 50 years old, and the clean-out plug has probably never been cleaned. I'm on city water and sewage -- not a septic tank.

Thanks in advance for any info

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-09, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Cllean-Out Plug

The clean-out plug is nothing but a place where the sewer or wast line con be rodded out. They are only used when there is a problem in the line they are connected to. There is no other reason to take them out. There should be more than one, the plumber will only use the one that pertains to a problem.