I might not know anything, but I think this should work

Old 09-11-09, 08:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I might not know anything, but I think this should work

My washing machine drain seems pretty cut and dry, but it overflows all over the floor. Its a 1.5" piece of copper pipe that I stuck a plastic piece of pipe in with a fitting for a hose barb. I connected a hose to my dehumidifier here....

(sorry, I used a flashlight, basement light, and the flash on my phone to get this picture)

Washing machine/dehumidifier to drain connection

Then it goes down the wall a few feet in 1.5" copper....
1.5" copper pipe

Then it goes into this wierd drain/trap that I've never seen before. It looks like it all should be operating.
Weird trap

When the washer is trying to pump water out, its over flows around the washing maqchine to drain connection. It looks like it should work. Does this mean I have a clog? or does this system not work?

Old 09-12-09, 04:32 PM
Thumbs down Wash Machine

I hate to chastise but, those pictures are useless, you have to get some light on them if you expect someone to help you!

Old 09-12-09, 06:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Doubling my monitor gamma I was just barely able to see the "weird trap" picture. It appears to be a drum trap. But even with my monitor way up I couldn't see enough to really comment. Please better pictures.

Old 09-12-09, 07:07 PM
S
Sorry...the pictures didn't look that bad on my computer. I set up a light and got some better ones I think.

Basically This is my where my washer drains. Its not a tight connection, but I don't think it has to be, it drains with gravity. There is a tap for the dehumidifier under it.

washer drain

Then it goes down a few feet

drain

Then it goes into the wierd trap or something? Then right into the streets sewer. Can anyone tell me what this is?

trap?
trap2

The problem is, when the washer pumps water out, water overflows around the black flex hose, all over the floor. I don't think it should. Does anyone see a problem here? Is the black flex hose too high? Thank you for any help.

Old 09-12-09, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Your set up is not correct.
What you may be calling a trap is actually a Y-tee.
You need a trap before the horizontal connection to the main sewer line and the drain line from the washer needs an air gap where it is inserted into the drain.
Increasing this line to 2" would give you the required space when you put the drain line into the drain and would carry the volume of water from the washer.

From what we can see this is not a safe installation and could be venting sewer gas into your home.

I know this is a diy forum but you might want to call a plumber on this one............it is not a big job and shouldn't cost too much.

Old 09-12-09, 11:11 PM
S
What is the function of this Y-tee? and quickly...is it gushing out the top of the pipe because there is no air gap? That makes sense.

Old 09-13-09, 01:02 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Greg made a mistake, the round fitting the drain first enters is called a drum trap. Drum traps are no longer used for several reasons. A few more pictures from a lower angle would help to better illustrate the piping arrangement.

Modern washing machines discharge the water at a faster rate than older machines and generally require a two-inch drain. It is possible that the wye fitting in the main drain that the drum trap is discharging to can be retrofitted with a two-inch PVC or ABS pipe that would then have the proper P-trap. Whether or not it would also require a separate vent would depend on several variables.

I am somewhat concerned where the pipe in the lower left of the second picture is going. While it is certainly possible to DIY a proper drain, without a far wider view of all the pipes entering the main drain and where these pipes originate it may indeed be much safer to contact a licensed plumber for assistance. Water supply systems are fairly straightforward and mostly common sense but drain piping has many very specific conditions and regulations that MUST be followed for proper operation AND SAFETY. It's not just the nuisance of a little water on the floor but the very real hazards of plugged sewers upchucking and/or dangerous and noxious sewer gases being released inside your home.

Old 09-13-09, 01:21 AM
I'm seeing something different guys. I'm seeing it go to a drum trap that goes to a wye that was originally intended as a clean out.

OOPs Furd beat me too it while I was playing with the picture.

Old 09-13-09, 06:58 AM
S
The pipe in the lower left corner is a drain that goes to a sink, all the way up to a second floor bathroom. I guess I can have a plumber come look at it, I work with them everyday. It's just I take a lot of pride in my DIY ability. Although plumbing is what I know nothing about.

I am intrigued by this drum trap. I am going to research it to find why they arn't in use anymore.

Old 09-13-09, 09:53 AM
I am intrigued by this drum trap. I am going to research it to find why they arn't in use anymore.
Once up on a time almost all bath tubs were plumbed with them and the top stuck just barely through the floor and you could unscrew the top to clean them out. Have you tried cleaning it out yet?

I have seen PVC versions at BigBox so I'm sure you can still buy them.

Old 09-13-09, 10:14 AM
There seems to be a kitchen sink tail piece in the washer drain for some other line. Many I have seen for dishwashers have a diverter plate inside that could restrict the flow of the clothes washer.

Old 09-13-09, 10:45 AM
Wash Machine Prob.

Originally Posted by strider380
The pipe in the lower left corner is a drain that goes to a sink, all the way up to a second floor bathroom. I guess I can have a plumber come look at it, I work with them everyday. It's just I take a lot of pride in my DIY ability. Although plumbing is what I know nothing about.

That whole mess has to come out.

You have to increse the line to 2in.

In the 4x2in. wye you have to install a 2in. PVC adaptor and a 2in. street 45 to bring your line to the horizontal, add a 2in. wye and out of the end of it tie in your upstair sink. On the branch of the wye install a 2x1 1/2 inch tee, out of the end of the tee install a 2in. p-trap, out of the p-trap install a 18-30inch stand pipe; thats for the wash machine hose. Out of the 1 1/2in. branch of the tee you have to have a vent, that could be a prob. if you don't have any near-by.

Most areas that have banned drum traps done so because they are not self cleaning and are prone to stop up; they also are usually installed in areas where you can't get to them like under a bathtub.

Old 09-13-09, 06:58 PM
S
Than you very much ray and shacko. Thats great information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: