main vent reroute

Old 09-10-09, 02:05 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
main vent reroute

I have a question, we have a main vent that runs straight up from the crawl, and wetvents the 2nd level bath. We are going to reroute it because it creates a bulkhead situation in lower bath, because of the way they ran the toilet drain, and we want to close it in to remove the unsightly bulkhead right above the lower bath toilet. Also right now the vent line goes right through the middle of the proposed bathroom upstairs. So I want to leave it where it is downstairs since it is right between a wall, but then move it over about 16 inches upstairs so it too goes through a wall.

Now I am not concerned once it gets about 7 foot up from the lower level because it is in a utility room, and will be out of the way, but I was going to 45 it or better yet 90 it twice to just shift it over. I assume I can't 90 it being it is a wetvent for the main stack, but can I just 45 it as necessary to realign it. maybe have to only go 6 foot up till I start my bends, but again I'm not concerned with it since it is in a utility room, but we do need room to walk since laundry will be in there and with the way walls are up and down, it is just unfeasible to do a straight shot to the roof. Thanks for any insight.

Old 09-12-09, 04:56 PM
Smile Vent Prob.

the idea is to use the less restrictive fittings on a sewer or vent line, if you can use 45's thats the way I would go.

Old 09-12-09, 07:40 PM
M
Thanks for the info. See if I use 45's I would have to start it real low to the ground in the utility room. I guess I am going to have to change where it vents through the roof anyway so I could try to angle it parallel with the wall thus making all the bends in the wall instead of bringing it out into the util room via perpendicular to the wall. But I think it would just be easier to angle it perpendicular because I could keep the upper toilet drain the same. Anyway without pics this is confusing you probably.

So the last question, I would hate to 90 it even though I am sure it will drain fine, since the horizontal section would be so short, but I want to be reasonably within code, and failsafe. and I guess a 90 would splatter poop when it falls. So would say a 60 be too much of an issue?

Old 09-13-09, 11:37 AM
Smile Stack Prob.

My original answer remains the same, the least restrictive fitting is the way to go. You have a lot of different fittings you can use; if you are on a vent only of your system you can use just about anything, if you are on the waste part you have to use the fittings that are the least restrictive, like long turn ell, 45's, 22+1/2deg. etc. just pick the ones that will give you less restriction and you should be o.k.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: