paint smell from plumbing?

Old 09-14-09, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint smell from plumbing?

I bought a house which has a studio converted from a detached garage. The studio has a full bath in it, installed 8 years ago. The room smells like paint, and according to the previous owners, it has smelled like since they moved in, 6 years ago. If you air out the room, it goes away, but then comes back once sealed up. Question: has anyone heard of a plumbing issue that results in a paint-like odor? It's not a sewer odor. I just can't figure out what would make this last for years, unless it's coming from the plumbing somehow.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-09, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the drain in the bathroom was used to dispose of all the various leftover paints etc and clean all the tools there could be a residual build up somewhere in the drain causing the odor.You might try replacing all drainage pipes to all drains in this bathroom from the baskets/drainage entrances to and including all traps.These are the sections that might have build up or residue in/on them.

I've heard of this before and have lived in an old house where this had happened.It's not only paints but solvents used to clean tools,materials like drywall mud etc that can build up or contaminate especially plastic pipe.It's most likely to occur before and in traps and the odor would not travel past a trap.