Loss of toilet syphon action

Old 09-16-09, 03:15 PM
Loss of toilet syphon action

After many years of good service, my toilet seems to have lost its syphon action. Before this problem started, the water would fill the bowl when flushing, then the bowl would empty out, and after that, the water level would rise again to about halfway up the bowl where it stays at the normal level until the next flush.
Now, after filling the bowl, the water level goes down quickly but stops at halfway, without first emptying the bowl.
I took the toilet out and cleaned it thoroughly. I then emptied a large bucket of water into it and the same thing happens: the water level goes down quickly but never goes down to the bottom of the bowl as it used to, but stops at the normal level.
Is there a fix to this or do I need to spring for a new toilet?

Last edited by hukre; 09-16-09 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 04:19 PM
Just a guess, but something is blocking the drain or stuck in the trap area of the toilet. If you have kids, it's a toy in the trap .

I'm guessing of course, but anything that slows the flow of the water will break the syphon action.

good luck
Bud

PS the real plumbers should be along with advice.

Old 09-16-09, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by hukre View Post
I took the toilet out and cleaned it thoroughly. I then emptied a large bucket of water into it and the same thing happens: the water level goes down quickly but never goes down to the bottom of the bowl as it used to, but stops at the normal level.
Is there a fix to this or do I need to spring for a new toilet?
Do you mean you took it up from the floor and cleaned out the inside of the toilet?And when you poured water through it was it back on the flange or still off the flange?

Beyond some sort of partial blockage you could have a clogged or partially clogged vent.These types of syptims happen when the vent has gotten a lot of leaves etc in it.You can often clear it by running a water off garden hose down the vent to knock through the build up.

Old 09-16-09, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your replies. I put a heavy rope through the toilet with a sizeable rubber bushing at the end and it went through it without problem, so I conclude there is no blockage. I dumped the pail of water into it while it was still sitting an two wood blocks in my driveway. Although the level went down pretty fast it only went down to the normal level. I also checked the vent by lowering my shoplight down through it until I could see it from the toilet flange, there was no obstruction.

Old 09-21-09, 09:40 AM
After several days of looking into it I finally found the answer to my problem and I am surprised that no experienced plumber came up with it.