Installing a laundry tub.

Old 09-18-09, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a laundry tub.

Hey Folks,

So, I'm a painter not a plumber. I'm wondering if this sounds like an appropriate plan for installing a laundry tub beside my washing machine.

The washing machine gets it's water from two faucets (h/c obviously) right behind it. My plan is to see if I can find a 'T' type adaptor that has one side that fits washer fitting and one that fits braided line I plan on running to the tub faucet. I'm hoping this deals with getting water to the sink. I'm afraid of cutting into copper and soldering as I'm sure I'll either flood my house or burn it down. Neither being desirable.

There's a 1.5inch black drain pipe for the washer coming up from the floor about three feet. A flexible hose from the washer sits in this pipe and drains the waste water. Near the bottom of the pipe there appears to be joints.

My question is, can I unscrew the joint near the floor in the drain pipe, put a 'P' trap under the laundry sink, and somehow (I'm not a plumber remember..) get the drain from the sink to this joint where I'm hoping to put some form of 'Y" connection? I keep seeing people getting warned about proper venting?

Can someone help a pathetic painter in need of a place to wash his paint brushes?

So far I have the laundry tub, a set of faucets, two 20" braided lines (one end says 3/8"comp, the other says 1/2"FIP). I know I'll need the P trap part, some 45 degree joints or something like that and I already have a length of 1.5 black plumbing pipe. Oh yeah, and some glue. Oh yeah, and the Y thing to go into the joint near the floor as well!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-09, 09:31 AM
Just learned how to use photobucket. At least I hope so...

Here's a pic of the joint in the drain near the floor:

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...nnearfloor.jpg

Here's a pic of the plumbing for the washer. Pretty standard I would assume:

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...erplumbing.jpg

Last edited by wildbill7145; 09-18-09 at 09:34 AM. Reason: I'm not as smart as photobucket...
Old 09-18-09, 02:54 PM
Question Laundry Tray

If that pipe comming out of the concrete is only 1 1/2 it's too small, should be at least 2in. You also don't have a trap on it, a major no no. In order to do what you want you will have to do a lot of re-piping to be anywhere close to code.

BTW if you wash paint brushes if the sink that you want to install, you can't use any petroleum cleaners without the possibility of damage to the system.

If you want to continue you will have to confirm that you have 2in pipe comming thru the floor.