Burst pipe: whats the worst that can happen?

Old 09-20-09, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burst pipe: whats the worst that can happen?

Hi Guys,

I'm bidding on a raised ranch foreclosure property and it's about 50% off the Fair market value.

However, it's a bit roughed up (yeah i wish i was getting a steal with no strings attached ) inside.

One of the problems is on the 2nd floor (where the kitchen is), the pipe underneath the sink burst. They 'fixed' the pipe (or so they say, the water is turned off, can't test it).

The floors around the kitchen didn't look or feel funny and the 1st floor ceiling beneath the sink, i don't think i noticed anything out of the ordinary.

But hypothetically speaking, what is the worst that can happen in such a situation and how much could it cost to fix it?

edit: here's a pic of the plumbing that they worked on underneath the sink

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/570/img0298ph.jpg

Last edited by iypoon; 09-20-09 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-09, 07:17 PM
Can you arrange to have a home inspection on your dime? A good inspector will give you a run down of all problems and should have knowledge of current costs in your area.

Have the Realtor involved and there. Better yet, have your own Buyers Realtor there and no Selling Realtor. Insist that the water be turned on for the inspection. If city water, he may be able to turn on himself for a short while.

Call around and interview a few inspection companys before hiring one. Got a Realtor of your own? Ask them for a quality home inspector. Check credentials. Some are not that good and go along with the Selling Realtor to get along. They don't want to be "Deal Breakers" with commission money on the table.

Better to spend a few hundred than to waste thousands.

CaryMan

Old 09-20-09, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by CaryMan View Post
Can you arrange to have a home inspection on your dime? A good inspector will give you a run down of all problems and should have knowledge of current costs in your area.

Have the Realtor involved and there. Better yet, have your own Buyers Realtor there and no Selling Realtor. Insist that the water be turned on for the inspection. If city water, he may be able to turn on himself for a short while.

Call around and interview a few inspection companys before hiring one. Got a Realtor of your own? Ask them for a quality home inspector. Check credentials. Some are not that good and go along with the Selling Realtor to get along. They don't want to be "Deal Breakers" with commission money on the table.

Better to spend a few hundred than to waste thousands.

CaryMan
Good idea, thanks, btw i have a pic of the plumbing under the sink, can anyone tell me anything about what they did or if it needs more work? :P

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/570/img0298ph.jpg

Old 09-20-09, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The cold water appears to be disconnected on the wrong side of the supply valve so don't turn the water on. Is that line and supply valve laying in the cabinet connected to anything? What is the unconnected white tube?

Old 09-20-09, 08:54 PM
The "open" cpvc pipe lying on the floor is just a piece of scrap that optically looks like it's connected.

The hanging white line is the vegetable sprayer.

A good inspector would check around before turning the main supply on if he knew that there is some question of water line integrity. Also, ask before hiring if they have a problem turning on at the city valve for testing purposes. Technically an infraction, but who's going to enforce?

CaryMan

Everything looks ok, but I am not there. Someone took pride in their workmanship Hehehe.

Old 09-20-09, 10:30 PM
thanks guys! i'll be sure to feed your info to the inspector

Old 09-21-09, 05:26 AM
I overlooked one thing. You are stuck with the Realtor that first showed you the property. Just the way it is, they are the Realtor of record.

You are free to have a Buyer's Realtor find you and show you similar properties in the future.

CaryMan