Grey water disposal help.

Old 09-21-09, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Grey water disposal help.

Im preparing to build a home off the grid in Alaska. I will use a standard septic tank design for black water. However, to reduce maintainence on the septic tank, I want to dispose of grey water through alternative means. I want to run a grey water line to a large pit filled with 3/4" gravel. I will line the sides and top of the pit with heavy plastic. Does anyone see any problems with doing this? How large should the pit be to accomodate 10 people? How far away should my well be from this pit? Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-09, 03:08 PM
Question Gray Water

Do you plan to get a perk. test on the land? can't answer without knowing what kind of drainage you have.

Old 09-22-09, 04:10 PM
I wasnt planning on it. I figured that with as much rain as this area gets, drainage should be good. However, I was just wondering what size hole would work even if the soil didnt drain adequately.

Old 09-24-09, 05:11 AM
if your soil perks well then an extended french drain system should handle the grey water instead of a pit. Using black perforated drain line and gravel trench out a drain field pattern, below the frost line, and use the grey water for irrigation. No need for a pit unless the soil doesnt perk.