shower stall leak

Old 09-24-09, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shower stall leak

we noticed that the baseboard in master bedroom near the bathroom was warping . But could not find any wet patches .The 15 year old shower stall has some caulking missing. Yesterday my husband took a long shower. After that the bedroom carpet near the wall adjacent to shower stall got wet. We stopped using the bathroom. The wetness is not enlarging.-no water in the bathroom near the shower stall , walls are dry. only carpet near the baseboard is wet. the plumber suggested cutting dry wall near the wet carpet to see whether the drainage pipe or any kind of pipe leaking.He also recommended to do a shower pan test. The approximate cost for doing a shower pan test & locating leak -(cutting the wall) = 250 $.Before shelling out money, we would like to know the most possible scenario & what kind of solutions are there.
thank you in advance for all suggestions

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-09, 02:02 PM
Question Shower Stall Leak

mom1967:........15 year old shower stall has some caulking missing........

That is where I would start, replace the caulk and see if it cures your prob., if not then think about cutting into walls.

Old 09-24-09, 03:48 PM
Do what shacko suggested first. Is the leak on the same wall as where the shower valve is located? And by shower do you mean tub shower? One other trick if before cutting into the wall is sometimes you can take the shower valve escutcheon(the round trim plate behind the handle) off. You have to take the handle off first. The escutcheon is held on by 2 screws probably. With a flashlight you'll be able to see a little bit inside the wall. You might get lucky and see where the water is coming from if it's a leak on the valve or the showerhead. I've found leaks this way before.

If the leak's on the opposite wall as the valve i'm sure it's just the caulking.

Old 09-24-09, 04:52 PM
it is shower stall .has a hand held as well as a fixed shower head( both replaced a year ago). the water is just the opposite side wall corner.I think we will do the caulking first as you all suggested before spending more money.Thank you