water usage

Old 09-26-09, 09:11 AM
water usage

Does your water meter still run if you leave the water handle on the outside hose overnight?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-09, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
If the outside faucet was turned on and water was flowing out of the hose..yes your water meter will run...why would you think otherwise?

Old 09-26-09, 10:26 AM
I mean the valve being on but no water coming out of the say a sprayer
Thanks

Old 09-26-09, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
In that case...no you really shouldn't have any real movement on the meter. Any minor drips or leaks would cause some usage..but it would be very small.

Not a good idea to leave pressure on a garden hose though, they can split almost anytime, esp if you get pressure spikes on your supply.

Old 09-26-09, 12:05 PM
If you leave a garden hose with water in it and both ends closed laying in the sun the hose will split open.the water inside will turn to steam in direct sun and sometimes even broken sun and pop open even the best quality hoses.This process can happen very quickly.

I've been in retail hardware a long time.This is by far the single most common cause of garden hose failure.No version of a hose is completely immune though the better quality you buy the more resistance you get.

Personally,I once was using a hose I'd call upper middle quality.I had a nozzle on it,I was in full sun,I turned the nozzle off and there was a kink in the hose that was holding back the water somewhat.Within seconds it popped right behind the kink.

Old 09-26-09, 09:30 PM
restez,

The answer to your question -- No, leaving a hose hooked to the hose bibb overnight isn't going to use any water, as long as the bibb is turned off.

Is it a good idea?? Absolutely not -- just look at what Gunguy45 and spdavid posted.

Fresno isn't really all that different from Redding (other than you ARE a whole lot closer to L.A.!!). In the summer, the heat will cause the hose to split. In the winter, the cold will cause the hose to split.

Old 09-26-09, 10:42 PM
Thanks you guy i appreciate it this answers my question
Have a great day