Suprise gap behind tub caulking

Old 10-12-09, 06:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Suprise gap behind tub caulking

so i removed the caulking around the tub to find this huge gap and soaking wet wood board. I noticed that only some parts under the caulking had a grout base and after taking this off there was litterally a 3cm gap in between. I will be drying out the wood for a few days but any suggestions on what to do next?

Old 10-13-09, 06:28 AM
S
The first thing you want to do is deterrmine if this leakage has caused actual damage.If it has been leaking for a long time you have issues to resolve.Don't think drying it out is enough,you have mold issues and water damage that must be repaired and eliminated.

If you don't feel you have enough experience to properly address this call in a pro.

There are a variety of ways to bridge gaps etc but the water leakage and it's effects are first on your list.

Old 10-13-09, 08:02 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
bunnyhugu,

Welcome to the forums.

You're seeing wet wood, but how extensive is the water damage to that wet wood, and how far does it extend?

If there is any way to access the wall on the other side from the tub in that area, you need to do that. That's the only way you can determine just how much damage exists. (It's either that or remove the tub!)

Old 10-13-09, 08:24 AM
B
The wood underneth is not moldy, it litterally looks like a wet piece of new wood. When i moved in the caulking was pulling away from the tub but we used it anyway because of the rain forest shower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: