Water Powered Back-Up Sump Pump

Old 10-16-09, 10:22 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Powered Back-Up Sump Pump

I'm working on finishing my basement and I need to install some kind of back-up system to the sump pump. I'd sure hate to get the drywall all fixed up and have the basement flood!

I have seen that a few companies sell a "water powered" back-up sump pump, as opposed to one that runs on a battery. Here's a link to one of them:

Home Guard® Max 503 | Zoeller Pump Company

Has anyone ever used one of these things? Do these things work or will I just end up with a wet basement and a huge water bill.

This would be for a back-up only. I have a regular electrical sump pump that will pump out all the water unless it fails / loses power.

Old 10-19-09, 07:09 PM
H
Griffon
I have *heard* that the water powered back up style used 2 gallons of city water to pull out one gallon from the sump.
Is your sump running all the time? Even if it has not rained in a while?
I recently had a company come and do the basement dry thing in my house. They were not the big nationally advertised guys and cost a heck of a lot less. BUT after about a month their system dried up all the water in the soil under my slab and the pump hasnt kicked on since this past June or so. It is totally dry.
SO.. if you are in my situation and its dry cept after a heavy rain or snow melt I would think battery backup would be best.
Have you down all you can outside the house to keep water as far away as possible to minimize water coming into the ground around the house and into the basement?
Joel

Old 10-20-09, 11:57 AM
G
The sump pump runs pretty much any time in rains. I would say that in a heavy rain it probably triggers every 5 minutes or so. It usually keeps going off for a day or so after (with longer intervals between pumpings) as the water filters down through the ground. If the weather has been dry for a while, or the ground is frozen, it doesn't run.

I have done some work around the outside of the house to minimize water coming in and it has helped. Illinois is pretty flat and the ground is all clay so there is only so much I can do on that front. There is still one area where I can see the ground slopes back towards the house fairly siginficantly. I need to dump a bunch of dirt ontop of the grass in that area and re-seed it. That will have to wait until 2010 though because its already getting pretty cold up here.

I think a traditional battery back-up pump would work well, but I am concerned that the battery won't last long enough in an extended power outage.

Old 10-20-09, 03:42 PM
H
Have you burried any of the heavy duty black "tarp" for lack of a better word under the dirt around the house to trap rain water from going further down into the ground? Its what most of the basement waterproofing guys do. then ya just taper it away from the foundation and the water all around the house is forced away. I am going to consider doing that myself this next spring maybe.
If i was getting a backup system on battery I would just get two optima batteries OR possibly a used forklift battery but they are big and deathly heavy i believe. Maybe a small solar panal to keep em running once the storm passes if power is still out to keep em charged.

It's just my opinion and I would double check on the amount of water that is really used to run the backup system. If it was that great I would think everyone with city water would have one

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: