Hot water recirculators

Old 10-19-09, 07:18 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water recirculators

I am looking to put one of these systems in my house and I wanted to see if anyone else has used one and what you used and what you liked and did not like about the brand you bought.
Joel

Old 10-19-09, 08:09 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hummer4x4guy,

I've had a recirc. system in my house for about 20 years. i wouldn't trade it for anything.

There are a couple of types, and how the house is built will be the biggest determining factor as to the type of system that will work best for you.

If the house is on a slab, you're not going to put in a return line, unless you run it through the attic. (IMHO, water lines in the attic are not a good idea!!) That leaves you with the style that connects under a lavy in the bathroom and uses the cold water line as a return line. These work because they have a temp. sensor inside the unit, and as soon as hot water reaches the unit, it shuts off. At that point, all of the hot water line from the WH to the recirc. unit is full of hot water.

My house is on a raised wood floor. I was able to crawl underneath and install a return line from the farthest valve back to the WH. My pump is in the garage, close the the WH. A couple of check valves, and the system is complete. To operate it, I installed wind up timer switches in each bathroom, with the switches wired in parallel. It doesn't matter which switch gets turned on -- the pump starts and keeps going until the switch shuts itself off.

My house has about 50 of 3/4" pipe and 15' of 1/2" pipe between the WH and the shower valve where the return line is tapped in. Without the recirc. system it was taking about 2 minutes of running the water for the hot water to reach the shower. With the recirc. system, I turn it on, wait about a minute, then turn the shower valve on and have hot water in about 5 seconds. You do the math and figure out how much water I have saved.

My pump is a TACO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: