New Faucet - Low Water Pressure - Help!!

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-09, 02:11 PM
Question New Faucet - Low Water Pressure - Help!!

I have just installed a brand new Kohler faucet in for my kitchen sink. Along with that I also replaced the shutoffs since the old ones did not turn off the water completely.

I have everything hooked up turned the main water valve back on and tried the sink and the water pressure is very low and totally unacceptable. I tried the other faucets in the house and they are fine. Also, I forgot to mention, but I did take off the aerator for the kitchen faucet so as not to clog the filter or aerator with the rust particles.

Can someone please help me before my wife kills me for trying to do this project on my own. I was so pround because there are no leaks but we will definitely not be able to live with this low water pressure!!

p.s. I also checked to make sure that there were no kinks in the flexible lines from the shutoffs to the faucet. The were fine with no kinks or hard bends.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-09, 02:21 PM
I'm guessing if it's a new Kohler kitchen faucet it's one of the all-in-one sprayer nozzle units. Mainly the faucet works as a normal faucet but also functions as a traditional sprayer if you push the button on the side and pull the end out if the faucet. Is this correct?

If so my experience has been that those units can have 3 different screens in them. If any one of those screens is plugged with sediment/debris it will dramatically affect the performance of the faucet. The aerator is the obvious one, the second one is usually where the extension hose attaches to the actual discharge head. You should be able to disconnect that by simply unthreading the hose and then checking the flow there after you clean that screen.

The third screen on my faucet was only accessible from under the sink as was a SERIOUS pain in the a$$ to get to. In my situation that one was the problem and once I cleaned it the pressure was back to normal. Mine wasn't a Kohler and I don't know if yours has this but if it does then good luck...

I hope this helps and maybe an certified plumber would have some more/better info for you.

Old 11-14-09, 02:30 PM
Shane,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. This unit is a traditional single handle one that has the spray attachment as a separate unit off to the side with the hose line going to it. The spray attachment has no pressure at all and no water comes out.

Don't know if this means anything to anyone but it is a Model K-10412 single control kitchen sink faucet.

Last edited by Hopperhop; 11-14-09 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-14-09, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Remove the faucet's cold water supply line under the sink (after you shut the water off under the sink!) and run it into a pail to see what kind of volume you get then. If need be, go to your local home center and buy a long(so you can bend it easily) 3/8ths inch flexible pex, a plastic ferrule(should be included) and a 3/8ths nut that fits shut off valve - to use back home, under the sink.

Then you will know if your problem is maybe right there at the shut off valve, or up in the faucet. Odd though if equally bad volume for hot and cold, that both hot and cold would have plugged up. More likely in that case it is in the faucet.

This sort of thing is common when people have old galvanized metal pipes. Do you?

Old 11-14-09, 03:35 PM
Yes, they are the old galvanized pipes.

Thank you for your advice. I will try your trick and see how the water pressure is. Actually the cold water pressure finally got a little better but the hot is really bad(low).

Old 11-14-09, 05:02 PM
Smile

ecman,

Thank you so much for your help. I did just what you said and checked the pressure right after the shutoff valve. I did have good pressure directly from there.

I then looked into the end of the flexible hose going to the faucet for the hot water side. There was a big chunk of rust right there. I took a small screwdriver and dislodged it and then hooked it up again. Problem solved!!

Thank you so much for your advice ecman and shane, I really appreciate it!! Have a great rest of the weekend!

Old 11-16-09, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It picks on the hw side more due to temp fluctuations and perhaps more mineral in the h side. We have this rental where upstairs every 2-4 months or so, the aerator and shower head clog with rust scale. I remove aerator and shower head and flush the lines and big chunks keep coming out.

I have found that pulsating the control knobs helps send like shock waves through the pipes, and dislodges even more. I keep doing that til no more comes out. No sense putting the stuff back on, if the lines aren't flushed out good, right? I have gotten so much rust scale out of especially that upstairs bath sink faucet, that I can't see how there is any metal left of that galvanized pipe. (Smiley faces are off)

Closed Thread