Side Pipe on Line to Kitchen Faucet


Old 11-16-09, 04:36 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 61
Question Side Pipe on Line to Kitchen Faucet

I was thinking about replacing the old piping from my main lines to the kitchen sink faucet to see if I can get an increase in water pressure. They are very old galvanized pipes and no doubt corroded and narrowed with rust. It would only take a few feet of piping and a few elbows for me to do this.

I was looking under the sink and and I noticed that coming off of the pipe that I recently installed new shutoff valves on there is an elbow and a piece of pipe (about 8" high with a cap on the end.) What is the purpose of this pipe and if I do replace the piping do I need to put this piece of piping?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on this one!!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 07:49 PM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,091
It's probably an air chamber, although it may be a capped off line that once fed a dishwasher or water filter.

Air chambers are installed to mitigate water hammer. In my opinion they just fill up with water after a while, but they may be required by your local codes, so look into that before proceeding.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes