Another, but different, Moen stuck cartridge problem

Old 11-21-09, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another, but different, Moen stuck cartridge problem

When I went to replace my Moen single lever mixing shower valve, the one with the cartridge 1200 (metal) or 1225 (plastic), here's what I noticed.---

The horseshoe clip that holds the cartridge in the valve was broken near the top, and the cartridge was partly out of the valve housing by about 1/4". The 'ears' on the horseshoe clip were bent outwards (towards the front of the valve). I can't pull out the horseshoe clip 'ears' because they are wedged between the valve housing and the cartridge, and I can't turn the cartridge with the little plastic tool that comes with the new cartridge because the 'ears' are in the way.

I tried pushing the cartridge back in so I can remove the ears, but it is not moving. I tried pulling the cartridge out, but not with much force, because I can see that it is, in fact wedged in.

I tired to put a clamp behind the valve body and onto the center piece of the cartridge to try to force the cartridge back in so I can remove the 'ears', but I can't seem to find a clamp that is long enough but also narrow enough to fit in the 5" diameter hole that is in the tile.

Any thoughts?

Howard

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-09, 02:22 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hit it with a hammer & a flat punch. That might push it back far enough to remove the clip.